This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT steering issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT steering issues
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:42am

I lost steering slowly pushing snow on a 190XT. I pulled it in the shop checked the all the usual. I put a gauge on the T fitting and it pulls 200 psi in the neutral position on the power director, 300 psi on the high side, and 200 psi on the low side. I checked the all pressure relief valves, and this has a hydraulic pto, once the tractor starts just for 10 seconds the gauge will read 50psi but then just to 200 psi, thanks guys for any input.

B,C,5020,D17,(2)-190XT's,220,D21,7060, Agco LT70
Sponsored Links

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:05am
sounds like the oil is to thick/cold
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:33am
not sure i understand , but usually the flow divider is stuck in cases like this.
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:04am
Pull in one of your remote levers to the raise position so it's pressured up. Then see if you have steering and PD if so the spool on the pump is sticking like what tbran said. Pull it out and clean then put it back hopefully it doesn't keep doing it. My buddy has a 200 that the pto clutches or something is contaminating it so the spool sticks quite often.
49WF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49WF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:33pm
Pull in one of your remote levers to the raise position so it's pressured up. Then see if you have steering and PD if so the spool on the pump is sticking like what tbran said. Pull it out and clean then put it back hopefully it doesn't keep doing it. My buddy has a 200 that the pto clutches or something is contaminating it so the spool sticks quite often.

is the spool in the pump or one of the spools in the control valve?
More than I need
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:35am
The spool is on the pump on motor take the big plug out on the back end of the pump.  Pull the spool and spring out clean it all up make shure there is not any burs causing it to catch also. Just remember what the position of the spool and spring is when you take it apart.
cdreb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:41am
I pulled the valve and spring first thing. I started it last night and did what you said and still no steering. Mack and I talked a little and I wonder if steering control valve is bad? I tried what Dr Allis said on another post to jput it road gear and let out on the clutch and it will kill the engine. So not sure what to do but try steering control valve.
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:51am
I am surprised it's holding in enough on the PD with 2 or 3 hundred psi should slip. One of the swash plates for the steering pump could be leaking through or cracked. I've never been around one that the valve one the steering wheel is bad so I don't know what the symptoms of that are.
stray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:33pm
Frist off the PD only takes 240 psi and the steering takes somewhere around 1200. I'm not sure what you are calling a swash plate, what I know is a swash plate in a pump is on a variable flow piston pump. The 190XT uses a postitve placement gear pump. Have you tried to exented the cylinder and remove the line on the rod end and contenue to turn the wheel in that direction and see if you have exessive leaking. You may need to jack the tractor's front end up off the ground to extend the cylinder.
1969 190XT series 3
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:27pm
Have you checked the spindels? I have saw spindels freeze up until they would hardly turn.   MACK
cdreb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:39am
I will check the cylinder and front spindles tonight. The steering clyinder was leaking bad earlier this  fall and I rebuilt it, but will check any and all issues. I am running out of ideas to try. The knowledge you guys have is so good on problems I rely on you. Thanks
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 7:10am
Stray you said it takes 240 he said he has 200 on the low side. I was involved in troubleshooting a gas XT that 200psi wouldn't fully inguage the PD. In the shop Iam at we have always called them swash plates on the gear pumps that have the side plates you can change or shim tighter. Maybe just our shop slang. Thanks for the correction I was just really trying to help cdreb.
stray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by KGood KGood wrote:

Stray you said it takes 240 he said he has 200 on the low side. I was involved in troubleshooting a gas XT that 200psi wouldn't fully inguage the PD. In the shop Iam at we have always called them swash plates on the gear pumps that have the side plates you can change or shim tighter. Maybe just our shop slang. Thanks for the correction I was just really trying to help cdreb.

I'm sorry if I came across as gruff, I to just want to help also and was making sure that we understand what is being said. Again I'm sorry if you thought I was stepping on your toes that wasn't my intention. On the PD I missed read the post, you are right the low side clutch is a little low on pressure, I'm suprized if it isn't slipping in low. I would be looking at the bushings on the control arm.

Edited by stray - 25 Jan 2012 at 6:33pm
1969 190XT series 3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic