This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers HD3 Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Ace Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers HD3 Rebuild
    Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 10:33am
I just began the rebuild of my Grandfather's HD3.  Tear down has gone well up until the steering clutches.  The crawler sat for 30 years unprotected and unused so everything is stuck pretty good.  Any ideas for loosening up the clutch shaft so we can slide it back inside and remove the clutch packs?  Also, we will be looking for a rebuildable engine block due to this one being cracked.  Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 11:16am

did you remove the snap c ring from the outer housing of the steering clutch where the axle slides into the clutch. if not lifted up with a bent 90 degree flat screw driver blade the axle will only move about 1/8 th of an inch. randal

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 9:05pm
is this HD3 one of the only 30 that were made with the detroit diesel in the early 40's, or is it one of the newer ones that resemble a D 15 tractor? Darrel
Stephen Ace Farms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Ace Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 12:32am
This is the newer one built off of the D15 wheel tractor.  I believe that it was built in the 60's but I may be misdirected on that.  I am currently trying to locate information on the numbers as well as the parts schematics to help us identify the missing or broken parts.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Ace Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 12:45am
We did remove the ring however everything was just too rusty.  We were suggested to begin cutting the clutch pack out.  We were able to cut only the pressure plate out and then were able to loosen every thing else with heat or hammer and pry bar.  The bad news is that now we need two new pressure plates and that the bearing pilot shafts had old breaks and will need to be replaced.  Hopefully I will be able to find them in good condition somewhere.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:37am
There were two  versions of the clutch packs. The early version was held together with 5/16 bolts. The later with 3/8 bolts. The 5/16 bolts worked loose on our tractor. We removed and re drilled per the Service Manual and they turned out fine.  If you are rebuilding it, you may want to remove the final drive housings which If I remember correctly will aid in removing the cross shafts. The sprocket output shaft-final drive which has a double Garlock seal is something that you may want to replace as well.  Get the kit from Illini or MinnPar as they use a spacer and a double seal. The snap rings in the final drive are a challenge to remove and install, but  can be overcome with patience. If you do not have a maintenance manual get one as you will be glad you did.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Ace Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 6:55pm
I will need to check the bolt size tommorrow.
We have been able to free the cross shafts and have the clutch packs completely out.  I dropped the brake drums and the clutch flywheels off to be cleaned and surfaced (if possible).  I have located new pressure plates, drive disks and feel the pilot bearing should be easily obtained.  However, upon removal it was found that both bearing pilots had been broken (cast) for some time and so I am in the market for a new pair.  The name MinnPar has come up a few times over the internet so I think I will try to contact them.  We were thinking of replacing the outer seal as well as the inner seal.  When looking at the inner seal there are 4 bolts in pattern and 3 bolts in pattern.  Any knowledge of what to remove would be appreciated.  We do have the service and operator's manuals for this crawler though neither is real clear in this area.  I just purchased the parts catalog which should arrive in a few days to clear it all up for us (I hope).
ac-mike View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac-mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:50am
I have purchased many parts for my HD-3 rebuild from Min Parr. If you need any help with them give me a shout.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic