This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Thrown track on H3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Thrown track on H3
    Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:10pm

The right track of my H3 crawler came off today. Its still on the rear sprocket but it came off the front idler wheel. I've never had to take off or put back on the track and I am looking foor any tips on how to do this. I have 5 or 6 repair and parts manuals for the crawler and they say how to remove the track but don't say anything about a track that came off and how to fix it. Any tips or instructions would be great thanks so much!

Sponsored Links

giz's hd-6ep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giz's hd-6ep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:53pm
i have seen people put them back on with another dozer or loader pulling from front across but pretty sure your going to have to back off the adjuster first and jack it up.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 11:31pm
Use the blade and rippers if you have them to help lift the  tractor up,and lots of blocks so if it slips it dose not get you.Then cable pullers(come along),long pry bars,and what ever other equipment you have to pull on track.Never a fun job but extra hands can make the work go better.Hopefully your not in a swamp or on the side off a steep mountain.Good luck and be safe.
Ray  
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 4:34am
first thing is to loosen up the adjuster as far as you can. next, rest the blade on the ground gently to take a little weight off the blade. sometimes you have to have it up. next, back the dozer up and easily turn to the right driving the track frame back into the track. sometimes you have to go in circles to get it back on. sometimes it takes another fella with a digging bar to help it over the idler. be careful, go slow and keep an eye out that you do  not lose the track off of the sprocket. once the track is back on the rollers and started back on the idler they will usually go back on easily. you need to feather the clutches to get it to turn in the direction of the thrown track because it is also trying to drive that track. i ahve thrown alot of tracks and the worst took me about an hour to get back on because i could not turn where i was. sometimes a comealong is needed to help but in an open area, you should be able to get it on. good luck
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:15am
I agree with dadsdozer, I also have been there, down pressure to get rollers on the rail then back up never go forward!
brandon154 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 8:37pm

Thanks everybody for all the tips and advice, I am going to try to do it on friday. I would have been lost with out the help. If anyone thinks of anything else let me know. I've got at least one guy coming to help, hopefully get another. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:09pm
I always worked from the top and drove sprocket forward, Using a come along to pull track onto top idler. I would raise machine with blade or bucket, then block track just back past center so when letting machine down the back end would go up , then block rear , then raise fron again to get lower part of track just off ground. then work on getting track over front ideler and driving track into position . that way machine doesnt move just track does.
 Have did it with 4 ft pry bar and couple extra hands also but the come along works best .
track tension is important .. one reason i sold my HD4 was had track come off several times and that was after i had new pins and bushing put in old rails , just the track stayed snakey and prone to walking off.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:27pm

So I tried to losen the adjuster for the track and the plate that holds the adjusting screw in place has two bolt heads that were completley rounded off. I was able to get the outside one off but I can't get the rear one and I've tried just about eveything to get it off. Since I could not get the track any more loose I tried to just get it back on. I was able to get all the bottom support wheels on and the bottom of the front idler wheel on. I just could not get the top on the front wheel. I tried prying and a come along as well as trying to get it the rest of the way by driving it in reverse and turning. I'm just curious if I should just keep trying or if there is anything else I should try. Also would it be ok to pull a pin in the track and get it over the front wheel and then put it back together, and if so any tips on that. Thanks everyone for any help you can offer.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:35pm
If you want to do it right then the removal of track the rest of the way , removal of the front ideler and adjuster and bench repair of them is the way to go .
 Splitting the track is another way but you will need to find the master link , drive it out and then still fix the adjuster as sooner or later it has o be done or you will be loosing the track again.  it is recomended that you replace the master pin when it is removed.
 You can also see if you can use a puller and move front ideler into spring far enough to give you more clearance to get track over front ideler.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:50pm
If I end up pulling the track off I heard the master pin is a little longer, but is there any other way of finding the master pin. Also where would I be able to find a new one at. When I bought the dozer I also got another parts dozer that was taken apart onto pallets. I will have to see what I might have for extra parts.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 10:11pm
Master pin normaly has a punch mark or indent in end , also if you can see the inside of track rail the bushing is shorter at masterpin and there is a washer and shim between bushing and outer track link boss.  The link is no different than any other one but the bushing and the pin are. Use a large punch and a bucking bar on back side link to drive pin out . I made a punch with a handle welded to it T shaped so one person can holt onto the punch while another uses hammer. Also a guide to keep punch centered on pin helps.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 10:33pm
I bought a new master pin last summer from Kevin @Illini
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 4:32am
the track will go back on as it is with the right conditions as it came off with the adjuster where it is but i am sure it gave a bang when it came off. you need to fix the adjuster either way but if it were me i would not pull the pin of the track if i did not have to. i have drilled the bolts out and retapped the hole or put a nut on the inside to tighten in the past. it is not easy but nothing is with dozer maintenance. you will spend less time fixing the adjuster than fighting future track throws. if you pull the pin in the track and do not loosen the adjuster, you will not get the pin back in easily as you need the slack to keep the hole lined up to get the pin in.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 4:34am
ages cat, who is illini? i have been looking for track parts to no avail.
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 8:31am
Check the list of advertisers here on Darin's site.  Illini is one of them.  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 8:22pm
If I end up having to pull the track off, where should i position the master pin on the track to pull it apart. I was thinking on the top in the middle where the support roller is, but I've never done it before so I'm curious where the best spot is?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 8:58pm
join it at the sprocket. it will help hold it in place when you line up the hole and it also is a good thing to beat on as the sprocket is solid and will not move. did you get the adjuster freed up?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 4:42pm
Thanks again. Yes I actually did get the two rounded off bolts out and I adjusted it as lose as I could. I just did not have help with me at the time to try and get it back on. So this weekend I will try again to get it back on with out having to pull the track pin, but I just wanted to know the best way to take the track off seeing that I have never done that as well. Hopefully it goes back on though.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 6:25pm
Listen carefully to dadsdozer -- he has the steps the same as I would do, Ive owned several and run others from JD450's to D8H's never owned a D8 but had a D4. When I sold the last one I said i would never have another but they are great for some jobs.
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 9:17am
  We had a track slip off on our HD11 in a small ditch and tried to "drive" the track back on by backing up and turning after backing the adjuster all the way off. The track bound and took the final drive gears out and busted the housing so if you do it this way, be careful.
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 7:54pm
I'm glad to report that th track is back on and up and running! I'm down one come along but it was worth it. With a torch and a lot of elbow grease I was able to get the adjuster loose and get the track on with pry bars and a come along. Everything got new hardware and anti sieze for if it happens again. Thank you so much everone for all the help and advise. I would have been lost with out it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 9:03pm
Remember how you were setting what that track came off and what you were doing , then watch it if you come close to same position again . Had that problem on the D6 I had and also on the HD5's before i replaced the track , Just watch tension so not to tight or to loose.  Keep a eye on the track as your running also kind of one eye on job, one on surroundings , one on machine and the other looking for any good scenery to come into view .
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 3:01pm
Mine kept coming off cause the rear axle bering totally let go. I could always get it back on the front idler by backing and turning the machine. Fought with it with come-a-longs before, took hours, now minutes.
1961 H3
whiskeyhorse69@hotma View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskeyhorse69@hotma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 5:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic