This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kinda like movin a combine ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kinda like movin a combine ???
    Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:37am
In 66-67 I worked at Talberts Mfg. in Rensselaer, In. We built a 500 ton(1,000,000 lbs.) trailer that went to Saudi Arabia to haul 3 generators from the dock to a site about 150 miles in country. The tractor was a tri-axle Mack like the ones used in quarries with planetary rear axles. There was a "jo-dog" hooked to the fifth wheel(which was about 1.5 times the normal sized semis). This "jo-dog" had three axles with trunnion axles(each walking beam ended with two sets of duals mounted side by side, on each side of the "dog"with a total of 16 wheels per axle. Then came the deck which had a goosenck hooked to the "jo-dog". It was about 30-35 long. The flanges of the beams were about 2.5-3" thick. and the web(up&down part) probably 1-1.5" thick. There was a rear brdge which consisted of 5 axles, the first two were mounted on a common set of axles and were steerable with big hydraulic cylinders, followed by three more axles all of which had the same "trunnioned" set-up of wheels, for a total of 78 tires.On this "bridge" there was a hydraulic  power unit with a Wisconsin V4 motor of about 20-25 hp for steering and lift for the removable rear goose neck assembly. We first tried a hydrostatic steering wheel, but was to slow and we had to go to a valve system. This unit was built and purchased to haul three big generators in three trips, and would have been "paid for" by the time the moves were finished.
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Sponsored Links

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:14am
hate to have the hyd's fail while yer in the cab!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:12pm
Talking about Cranes. This is a picture I took in Saskatchewan on our tour in June.
My crane guy says there are only two in the US. This one is out of Idaho. 1350 ton
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
beeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:37pm
 "No such thing as a big job,just small machines" ..... Mr. R. G. LeTourneau.

1949 B   3930 Ford- Have owned other Orange ,green,red,yellow,dark green tractors and equipment.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 5:06pm
Couple years back they put in a new section in the refinrey is St Paul Park. Brought in by barge then erected on site with special crane that they hauled in .. 36 loaded flat beds to haul in crane to do the lift. More time assembling the crane and tearing it down than the actual lift and placement of the chamber.
 Crane came out of Texas I believe, outfit out of there has couple of these special heavy lift cranes and travel all over the US

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 18 Aug 2011 at 5:07pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:51pm
the trailers used to haul the big stainless tanks from the river to cargill each has 220 tires on them, all steerable axles, the tractor was a pete and pulling with 2000 hp. (special engine) a company outta calif. the trailers came in piggy back, and are then bolted together, the trailers were also over 100 ft long. they olny had to travel about 2-1/2 to 3 miles from the river to the site.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:45pm
cargill has been bringing in some of those into blair ne by barge on the river, until it started flooding,
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:45am
That is hard to conceive...   1.8 million lbs rolling along on a road.  

Viewing from the passenger side, I counted 8 axles on the front of trailer & 10 axles on the rear of trailer.  But, I am thinking that these axles are duplicated on the drivers side as well????  So... would the trailer have a total of 36 axles x 4 wheels/axle = 144 wheels?  I did not account for the gooseneck portion of the trailer just behind the truck.   So, perhaps 150 - 180 wheels ....

Just think... if you purchased each new tire @ $350 each.  150 x $350/tire = $52,500

What kind of rate do businesses like this charge to move such a monster?

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 8:14pm
That looks like a Mammoet rig. My wife's cousin works for them here in Ontario. A very interesting job. He was moving a 850 ton generator in NC last year. I moved two 39' wide loads myself today. Five blocks through town with 41' between power poles on one side and trees on the other. Only had to pull two stop signs.

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 17 Aug 2011 at 8:56pm
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 6:58pm
I think I would stop into that liquor store on the right for a cold one!
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:05pm
Pulling it with a Kenworth T800 Wide Hood. Could also be a C500, they are hard to tell apart from a distance

Edited by DonDittmar - 17 Aug 2011 at 3:06pm
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:30pm
That's my new still, they promised it this week, but I think it will be a little late!!! :)
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:16pm
Split51, he is going to Ponca City.....
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:12pm
 Which direction was that heading? I would like to see it if it is heading west.
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:09pm
This is how it is done Michaelwis...
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:27pm
looks like an air cleaner assembly

michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:23pm
looks a little big to be going under highline wires (to the right )
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:17pm
Thought some of you fellas would like to see this piece of refinery equipment easing up the road. He was hoping to make 100 miles today...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic