This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"B" Hydraulic rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisnIowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "B" Hydraulic rebuild
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 11:13pm
Hi Folks,

Purchased a 47 "B" with Hydraulics last summer. I have been working on it and have started work on the Hydraulics. It has the smaller 3/4" cylinder (Belly Mower lift) and it leaks. I have been looking around and found supplier for the rod seals but when I dissasembled the cylinder it looks like the brass nut has some leather left on it but not enough to do anything. I assume this leather "cup" would need to be replaced (anybody know of any suppliers?)

Also the tractor has the original flow directional valve (not sure if that's the official term). This also leaked from around the shaft seal area. Anyone know where I can find replacement packing and seals for this as well?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Sponsored Links

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:27am
Frank,  You may want to contact Sandy Lake Implement.  They are one of the sponsors here and if what you need is available they will have it or can get it for you.
You may be speaking of the two way plow valve when you talk of the "flow directional valve"  How many rams do you have? 
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:30pm
Frank, do as Bill said they are great people to deal with!  I just ordered packing for a cylinder on a "C".  They had it in stock and it wasn't long until I had it in the shop.  Check out agcopartsbooks.com first and see which type you have..either type 1, 2, or 3.  I believe type 2 refers to B's and C's built in '42 & '43..but cylinders maybe could have been swapped.    hope this helps  -Wes
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:39pm
There should be some room for tightening the packings if they are not totally wore out. If the rod has any pitting, it will wear the packings out prematurely.
 The only thing that "seals" anything in those cylinders, other than the pipe threads that connect the tube to the gland and bottom piece, is the packing in the gland on top of the cylinder. There is a bronze guide bushing that helps keep the rod straight which should be replaced if there is noticeable clearance in it.
 The chevron packings are real cheap from your local supply house like Motion Industries.
It might well be worth your time to buy from Sandy Lake though because you will get what you need without measuring things and ordering from a supplier.
 There is a little finesse required when replacing the packing. They must let enough oil by to keep things lubricated. If you over tighten the packings they will wear out prematurely.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 01 Aug 2011 at 1:50pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

The only thing that "seals" anything in those cylinders, other than the pipe threads that connect the tube to the gland and bottom piece, is the packing in the gland on top of the cylinder. There is a bronze guide bushing that helps keep the rod straight which should be replaced if there is noticeable clearance in it.

By looking at the agco parts list I only see 2 cylinders and one does show a gasket between the gland and the cylinder tube. Niether show the cylinder screwing into the bottom casting like the one I rebuilt for the Build a B project. Neither shows the bronze guide bushing in the gland either. They do show a guide on the bottom of the rod.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 01 Aug 2011 at 2:10pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic