This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5A project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5A project
    Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 7:29pm
Hi we got the HD5A parts and my son brad is keen to get it going we rethreaded the drive axle bearings and track rollers and tracks frames on and put the tracks on and new bearings and seals in the blower i hop it starts tomorow 

15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest
Sponsored Links

q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Well it sarted first push of leaver but it is only runing on 1cyl closer inspecsion it has the head of the valve is in the exhaust manafold so we will pull the head off and see what damage has been done we got the 2cyl gm HD5A from the wrecker and did not know what was wrong with it

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 8:57pm
Looks like you got yourself a project but if you got the truck frames off without a problem the bolts at least arent runsted in to bad. The little 2-71 are not that bad to work on easy and simple and valve are cheap , just hope the piston and liner are good though they are not a bad price either.
 See if you can come up with some way to fix the axle nut , I turned down end on one and re-threaded it only to have it break at the new threads .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 30 Jul 2011 at 9:00pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 9:47pm
HI coke the piston has a hole in it both valve heads are pulled off we have a old 371gm motor will the piston and valve parts be the same as 271gm parts are much cheeper in US it is hard to find someone ot send them to australia cheers john

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 10:00pm
If the liners are standard size they will exchange with no problem as will the valves .
Detroit Diesel was the cheapest I found on the valves and they had them on a blister pack roll and just pulled 4 off the roll when i bought them.
 Be sure to save shims from underthe liner counter-bore as sleeve need .003 to .005 rise above the block surface for the head gasket to seal.
 Liner port configuration between industrial and trunk may differ as origonal ports in the 5 looked like a 8 with the hole position and the others look more like 2- U configuration
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 11:30pm
Hi all here is a look at the damage

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:02am
That one HV7 injector doesn't look in to good of shape either .  Might be time to find another head or some shop time on that one to replace the injecto copper tube along with injector. Sometimes a loaded head is cheaper fix than individual repair.  Looks like the liner height is a little lower on the bad sleeve and allowing some compression leak also.
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:34am
Hi coke i have another complet 2.71gm and a 3.71gm motor i dont want pull them apart iam hoping i can get the parts out off the seized 3.71gm parts motor i have. It is hard to get the old GM parts down under

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:05am
The valves from any 71 series will work, same as pistons and liners , only ones are the pistons from the 2 piece used in the V 71 series but liner itself is same.
 Had my head with a bad exhaust valve seat and cracks from injector tube to the seat area. Machine shop would not fix so got another head, when I brought it back to that shop for putting together knew I had made a bad mistake using them when he told me he had 2 stelite valve and 2 regular stock valve and he would put the stelite in the exhaust ports.
Quick explanation it was a 2 cycle diesel and the guy was still was confused .. LOL
  Found out the cracks are normal on 71 heads and unless they show leakage , run till they do leak.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 1:37pm
Coke, Chapin Cyl Head in Chapin Ill used to rework DD heads pretty well and reasonably, weld repair then remachine.  They had done work for the old shop I worked out of years ago but I understand they are still working.

Western Diesel Service in St.Louis became Clark Diesel some time back, they used to be the distributor I bought DD especially 71 series parts from, I have not used them for some time and wonder if the two stroke parts are even available much anymore.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 1:43pm
Had a local shop do the head on my 2-71 and found I could have bought a exchange head from them loaded cheaper than I had the machine shop monkey with mine , but new head and mine is running fine. have a extra 2-71 setting out back that i have never opened up got it with a parts machine i bought. Two other machines i sold I had found cracks in heads but no leakage so when working on them just put head back on and ran fine.
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 4:03am
Hi all we pulled the injectors out the hd5 it is a gm60 and the one in the 3.71 is a hv6 would the injector tip be the same. We only got 2 good valves out of the 3.71the top of the motor has been full of water some time the botom end is good but the pistons are seized any tips for geting them out thanks john

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:24pm
Here the HD5 call for the HV7 injectors . As far as getting rest of engine apart can try taking sleeve and poston out as aa unit then getting it unstuck out of engine .
As sleeve is a dry sleeve using a wood or brass drift on bottom to raise it should work
Should use new injector lines when going back together or be real careful when installing as not to crack flare by overtightening .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 02 Aug 2011 at 1:26pm
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 6:20am
Hi coke we have got the HD5A going agane the resion it destroyed it self some one had screwed the govener stop right out we put it back were it shoud be around 1500rpm we haven operated it yet i will keep you posted cheers john

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 7:50am
I am running mine a little higher than the std RPM with no problem so far in 15 years of running. then again only couple people run it and now for light work.
 Friend had a 4-71 in single axle truck he ran pulling 42 ft trailer on 400 mile runs. He turned it up to 3000 RPM.. ran great for about a year or so per engine.
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 11:44pm
Brab is tacking the HD5A for its first drive and put it in the shed to finsh it of its runing nice and clean for a 2 stroke

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 12:50am
great to see another one running and another one saved from the scrap.
Now in a shorttime you have made another 2-71 purr and another 5 move .
Good job and great outcome , thanks for sharing .
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 12:26am
thanks for your help coke the hd5a runs nice and clean all the clutches work fine and the turning brakes are good just a lot of tidying up to do find a hd5 air cleaner repair the bonnet- seat-etc and take it to a rally cheers john & brad 

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic