This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cylinder seal kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cylinder seal kit
    Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 12:08pm
I took a ram that was leaking a little from my D grader into a shop and asked them if they could replace the seals. I came back a week later and they said that will be $500 please. I think that he could tell from my startled expression that I was not expecting that. He asked if I had not been given a quote when I brought it in and I said no. He did apologize and said that they should have called me before they started to rebuild it. He said that the shaft was pitted and needed to be re-chromed and polished otherwise it would wear out the new seals. That was over half the cost. A second ram is leaking a little but I can buy a lot of hydraulic fluid for $500. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 5:57pm
 Minnpar in Mpls MN is or was a supplier of AC parts and might have some info ,
A check of phone book in your area under hydraulics should bring up a lot of shops. or even a ag or construction dealer in your area. Another thing to do is take your digital camera and record your disassembly of cylinder , take parts ot someone like NAPA or such supply and see if they can match your parts . Also McMaster Carr has a web site where you can order packing , O rings and such by size. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Just Work View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Work Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 5:45pm
I agree with you 100% that is why I will not go to him. Just for my own knowledge I had a buddy of mine call him and see what he would chaarge to do one hydraulic cylinder and he wants $395.00 plus tax I could darn near buy a after market one for a few more bucks.

I tried that web site you gave me but they have no information on the TS1000 to help me out. The girl was alone in parts today and she was going to call some other company they deal with. So right now its a little slow going on this bucket cylinder.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 9:16am
If i get that answer from a place I thank them and just go to their competitor to do my business. It is up to me to decide if I can fix it not them, and if i buy parts from them they make a profit , if I don't deal with them at all thats their problem 
 Went to a place that sells "O" rings for one for the steering clutch in my FD5, and their minimum order was for $25. in product , the "O" ring was $4 but lady on counter said she could overcome the problem by letting me have 2 sample rings to try for nothing. So there are good people out there who are in business and want to keep customers.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Just Work View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Work Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:50pm
Im sure they do earn it however the local guy by me told me he wont sell me parts to fix it that he has to repair it. I had a hard time just trying to get orings for the valve block assembly from him. Thanks I will try that Web site.  
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:33pm
I looked at a piston and cylinder last week that needed seals. It was taken apart and handed to me and I had a suppliers catalog in front of me. It took 2 of us twenty minutes to find the right parts. The guys at the hydraulic shop probably earn their wages cause they know this stuff by heart.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:25pm
you can still take it to the hydraulic shop to get the seals. i have had good luck with so-so rods no matter what anyone says. i believe it is a popular loader and i am sure parts are still available. try agcopartsbooks.com. you can look alot of stuff up there.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Just Work View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Work Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 6:49pm
Hello all I have a backhoe/loader im putting back together it is a D17 with a TS1000 loader. I would like to replace the leaking seal on one of the bucket cylinders but I cannot find anything on the net to help me with finding the correct parts. The stamp on the cylinder head looks to be as follows B-104-3C now the B could be an 8 and the C could be an 0. How would I tell what type of seal kit I would need? if I take it to an local hydraulic shop they are going to tell me i need to replace the ram due to a couple of good knicks in it which i cleaned up some to smooth the sharp edge.  

Thanks

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic