This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 stuck from sitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote largeonee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 stuck from sitting
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:31pm
Hi
it's mine.   I did some horse trading and i am the proud owner od H3  1620.  it was supposed to have been running and is stuck from sitting.  I have break free oil in th3 cylinders  but  how can  I turn it over.   it has a pto  can i turn it with the pto   with the shuttle clutch  can I pull it to turn it. 
thanks
jeff
Sponsored Links

RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:27pm
I am sure it can be pulled butttt be advised. If you have a 160 cu inch engine in it if you wreck somthing internally things are more expensive for those engines, 149 engines are easier to find. if it were mine I would at least pull the valve cover and go from there to insure least amount of damage.
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:42pm
Where abouts in "Upper Mi" are you? 
largeonee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote largeonee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:53am

I am in Iron River .  there are a couple small AC tractors where this one is.  one has what looks like industrial cast  iron wheel centers (kind of like bar bell weights totaly different from the farm one) and the brakes are hand levers on each side.  I will get pics of them.  the second one is a farm  type with a wide front, slightly toasted.   the farm one had  a starter the ind. one didn't even have a place for it. from  the engine forward is missing on the ind.  but it has some kind of a three point setup left on it.  I am off to Eagle River  today.  I work for the radio stations in Iron River   and Eagle River,   so I am over there thur. and fri.   I am waiting for them to deliver my new toy.  When I went to ask if I could have the keys to the tilt bed they offered to deliver it.  About  25 years back the owner and I took his John Deere dozer  to pick up an in floor hoist.  when we were loading to go home, as I was lowereing the bed back down to the truck with  him and the dozer on it. (a lot more weight than we normally hauled with it.) he was yelling something to me. (he had to keep the dozer backing up to aid the winch in pulling it up the ramp.) so I stopped the hyd tilt to see what he wanted.  what he wanted was to tell me not to stop the tilt once we were on the way down.  we busted a bunch of attaching bolts on the trucks tilt mounts. funny  the things that stick in your mind.  I think the 2010  JD was heavier than the H3.  but  it still easier for his guy to  bring it. It's just when.

jeff
ac-mike View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac-mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:17am
If you would consider selling the pto I would be interested
MIKE
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:48am
Nice to see another Yooper on here. If you can get some pictures that would be great. I'm always interested in A/C equipment. 
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:13pm
I'd do it with the starter ajd battery. As said, take it apart a little and see whats up. Should be the 149 cid motor. Parts are available and not to pricey. That motor is real simple.
1961 H3
largeonee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote largeonee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:56am
Hi  had this all written and the computer ate it.    I am still waiting for it to appear here at home.  if it isn't here by the time i get off of the air Sat. I am going to see if one of my Buddy's at the recyclers where the H3 is,  can give it a tug with a loader, to see if we can get her to turn.  I tried the starter  before I pulled it, and I tried a bar against the ring gear through the starter hole.  no go.  I looked and felt the front pulley, I don't feel a nut or bolt. just holes around the face of it.  maybe I can make a drive of some sort to try and turn it from the front.  as far as the PTO  I have to wait and see where this goes. I don't see me using it.  but it also looks like  project to remove  with the shifter and all.
thanks
Jeff
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:40am
before tugging on it and forcing the motor to turn I would pull the spark plugs and put a mixture of ATF and Acetone down the holes. This will help loosen stuck rings (Vs breaking them by forcing the motor to turn over). I would also pull the valve cover and make sure the valves aren't rusted up.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:16pm
You might as well pull the head at this point. If you couldn't turn it a little prying against ring gear you got trouble. Safer and cheaper to pull the head and fix the problem at hand. HTH Tracy Martin
duramax-rob View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duramax-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:39am
The ATF and acitone works great on stuck motors.  The longer is soaks, the better!!!!
largeonee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote largeonee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:01pm
Hi  it soaked since wed   today  I got  one of the guys to push it with the big loader.  the goos news all the clutches work.  the bad news  it's still stuck.  no sense hammering it  so I will wait till it gets here and pull the head.  any recommendations on how to unstick it without popping the sleeves up.  and if they come up can i put them back. or am i asking for a coolant leak
thanks
Jeff
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 8:00pm
Largeonee: welcome to the H-3 club, sweet little machines.  Craig Cannon  an AC Tractor Engineer did a nice job designing the machine. 
hilltop615 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:06pm
Largeonee, Did you get your motor free'd up? I've just gone through the same problem on the same machine so i'm just curious how yours ended up.

largeonee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote largeonee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 6:33am
Hi
and Merry Christmas
I don't know where fall went. I had meant to update on the project,  but once I got it running , I spent every spare minute running it.
       I had to pull the head on the H3.  when I did I was pleased with it's condition.   very little rust, no ridge.  I honed what I could of the cylinders.  I am a Jeep (40's n 50's) guy so I have a lot of home made special tools for them. one of them is what I call a cyl knocker.  One of my Buddy's used to run the flame/plasma table at a local shop,  so I got him to cut me some (hockey pucks) discs out of thick steel.  they are slightly smaller than jeep pistons.  He took it farther by having one of the welders weld a huge chunk of square stock onto one of them.  we free engines up  by dropping it onto the piston top and smacking it with a bfh.  it spreads the blow around to the whole piston top.  doesn't always work, but most of the time it will free them up. The H3 piston is a lot bigger around but i tryed it anyway.  the engine came loose and I was able to turn it with the fan after only a short time.  I thought I was on my way but   the starter was shot.  I found an armature and fixed that.  I had discovered in the tear down that two of the rocker arm supports were busted.  They want $50 each for them.  I was going to try and weld them  when I found a larger AC tractor in the scrap pile and robbed it of it's supports. they were taller so I cut two of them off, and used them. at first the engine had almost no compression and didn't want to start.  once I got it started  it smoothed out nicely.  I have gone through about 20 gal of gas,   and it runs a very long time on 5 gal.  another hundred or so, and I might be able to make a flat spot ha ha.  I went out a couple weeks back and started it up.  It took right off, and I plowed snow with it. my wife thought i was nuts. she asked why I was using a bull dozer to plow 6 inches of snow? I told her cause I can.  anyway  this is the greatest little tractor I have enjoyed every minute and I look forward to next summer.
thanks
Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic