This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1961 D17 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1961 D17 questions
    Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:07pm
I brought home a '61 D17 Gas today and have some questions.

First I have power steering fluid coming out of a bolt hole on the left side front of the frame rail. I think a plug or something should be there?

Where is the P.S. fill plug at?

And at speed the front shimmies pretty good, since it is a narrow front I have no idea what to adjust to tighten this up.

Thanks for your help
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:14pm
  chek oil level in power steering  have had it happen after the dealer told me it did not have ps
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:23pm
The fill plug is between the radiator and grille. I can't remember right off if there are bolts that go all the way into the front or not. The front casting is the reservoir. There is a large bearing at the bottom of the pedestal that is probably bad. To tighten things up, there is a plate that the pedestal bolts to that has shims that adjust the steering sector bearings.  
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 5:34am
Thanks Brian, I will check that out.
The hole is in the casting and goes into the reservoir for the PS, I will try and take a picture of it. 
I found the front vent/fill tube. How do you check to see how much fluid is in the PS system? I have ordered manual to help me out.
I spent the day cleaning crude off of it and looking it over, I have drip from the PTO shaft so I think I will need to pull the shaft out to replace the seal there. Anyone know a part #?
The air intake is like the standard mushroom head but this one also has a mesh screen that is formed into a cone, I have never seen one like that before. 
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:06pm
Did some research on the AGCO website and thankfully they have the parts diagram online. 
Found the PTO seal I need.

The front casting does not show a bolt hole where I have one that is leaking so I need to look into that more
Charlie

skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:23pm
The air intake cap is for a corn picker if it has the screen.    
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:05pm
You're supposed to fill it about 1/2 inch over the gears when you look through the hole. Bill at Sandy Lake said to just replace the bearing in the bottom of the pedestal and pack it with grease. Originally there was a seal and it was filled with oil. The sector that is inside the reservoir has a seal in the plate that the pedestal bolts to. If you're going to the trouble to tighten everything up, pull the reservoir out and wash out all the sludge in it.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 9:17pm
     Do you have front wheel weights ???
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:37am
No I don't have front wheel weights on it nor does it look like it ever did.

I made a short video showing the bolt hole that leaks fluid (I have a long bolt sticking out of it now) and also tried to show the play in the pedestal (it was still dark out). 
I looked at the online diagram for the shims but still don't see how that tightens things up.

[TUBE]6jeh448qBCo[/TUBE]
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:52am
Not my tractor but I circled the hole in question

Charlie

BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:27am
My 58 D17 has 1/2" bolt on each side,goes thru the cowl,does not go all the way into the reservoir.
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:13am
I wonder if someone screwed it in to far and broke the casting out? I will just plug it then.
Charlie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic