This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possible H3 repower?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible H3 repower?
    Posted: 21 May 2011 at 6:59pm
My H3 149ci gasser has a broken cam that went into the crank. So before i start sinking a whole bunch of money into this thing would there be any possible repower options that would be beneficial (a little boost in power) and cost effective (not be too much more than a cam, crank, rebuild kit, and machine work)? I know a D15 tractor motor will fit but is lacking the fuel pump casting (but it would be easy enough to run a small electric fuel pump if needed).

Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:03pm
You could try to find a 160 cu.in engine the same as a D-15 II. It should give you a 8-10 hp increase and will be a bolt in.. Unless you are running on big slopes, I wouldn't be too concerned about the fuel pump. My H-3 has a 149 engine and could use more power.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 10:13pm
One thing you might want to watch is the oil pan and oil pump pick up. Many dozers use different setup than other engines to be sure of oil at pump when working on grades or angles. (unsure of what the H3 used for that)
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:25am
Looks like a 160ci swap is the easiest. Any other motors out there that would bolt up to the bellhousing? I wouldn't be opposed to a little Fab work. haha
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:33am
I think it was after serial #9001 that AC changed to the 160cid. I guess they knew it needed more. Just remember that the final drive on it was designed for a 40-50hp dozer. The fuel pump is a minor thing.
1961 H3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic