This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 41-(FD50) & D 11 working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 41-(FD50) & D 11 working
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 11:30am
D11 at 850 HP and Fiat Alis FD50 (HD 41) Pushing overburden
[TUBE]dp4-ScDRqCk&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/TUBE]

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 29 Apr 2011 at 11:30am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:29am
that FD 50 has to be 25 years old ! Would be nice to know the hours and maint that has been done. Hard work pushing crushed rock.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:03am
I have been told that when they became the FD50 there was a change in the final drive planetaries that made a great deal of difference in the failure rate, there was just too much giddy-up for the rest of the tractor. When I was a kid I collected a lot of sales brochures from manufactures, I still have an original brochure for the HD41 from the early 1970's touting 524 hp, I thought that I needed one in the worst way, it scared Caterpillar enough to spawn the D-10 and then the 11. I really never did understand the high track, I know it is supposed to be easier access to the finals and the sprockets are out of the dirt, but the track has to bend 30% more each revolution and seeing the track have to suspend itself from the sprocket to the front idler has to be a wear item on sprockets and pins and bushings. The SALT tracks made a big difference but boy do they "clop clop" especially in the bigger Cats, that can't be the best for things. Cat must have thought it is a winner, but the funny thing, the newest experimental "cats" are back to conventional tracks.

Great video, thanks for sharing

Who has more fun than people on tractors? Tad
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 3:04pm
the 41 was plagued with final drive problems from the beginning. There were 3-4 different funal drive versions over the years, and there were upgrades to the old units with bigger bearings and shafts. Some upgrades required the final drive covers to be bored to accept the larger parts. The 41B was a better tractor and the FD50 was even better yet. No enought money was availaable for design  upgrades as the 70s and 1980s were not good proffit years. ..... The high drive idea was that the bottom roller would carry the tractor weight, and the final drive (top sprocket) would transfer the power to the tracks.. On the standard design the sprocket shaft is doing everything and thats quite a load on a 80 -90 ton tractor,
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:59pm
the original D10 became what is now the D11. It looks to me like the FD is moving faster, where the D11 looks to be struggling pushing the load.

Edited by injpumpEd - 01 May 2011 at 6:06pm
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:42pm
I spoke to a D11 operator a number of years ago and due to the weight of the machine the rails were not a long life component on the D11. Due to all the weight the track wore at a much higher than normal rate. They were using the tractor in a mine I believe.  
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 11:19am
Not to be argumentive here, but I have read numerous times where the HD 41 and other AC crawlers were plagued with final drive problems, and after talking to numerous people in the salvge business, and some owners of the big AC dozers that "rumour" of final problems just doesnt seem to hold water. I havent talked to one salvage yard that didnt tell me they sold  more finals to Cats and others as they did to the AC line. I have an HD11B that I bought missing some parts we had to call all over the US to find an HD 11B in salvage, found one in Tenn, and one in Ark that we got some parts off of, so if these dozers were such a bad thing where are all the junk ones?The 41 logged a huge amount of test hours before AC released it into the public, I know first hand of the abuse AC engineers did to destroy an allis made product so I have a hard time to believe that they "missed" a final problem. After asking many mechanics about this so called weak spot they told me 2 things, one was that the finals were getting loose and not maintained propely when they seen one fail, and second thing they told me was the amount of torque and power on a 41 or any AC crawler with a converter on was tremendous compared to the competition, the stall ratios were extremely high in comparison to a cat so the amount of work being done by an AC crawler was extremely more than its rivals, and when taken that into consideration the failures were not many. They also told me that the final failure was more of a rumor started by the competition because they could not make a tractor that large or powerful. Another comment made was that when AC sold some interest off to Fiat , AC didnt do as much of the castings as they did on the original 41's so one some of the Fiat Allis 41s some problems occured, but was remedied by changing the stall ratios on the converters so the amount of torque wasnt as great. I know only a few actual owners of 41's, and they had no problems with the ones they owned and one company had 6, I am trying to buy the remaining one they have left but to date havent reached an agreement. I have to wonder how much validity is in this so called failure problems.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:16pm
Kcgrain, well spoken. That is one thing about Cat and Cat guys, if it doesn't say "CAT" then everything else is a POS. What you said about power output is very true, Cat will double the iron and half the horsepower, but they still break, another thing about Cat guys, they all will tell you how they never break or need repair , and in the next sentence they will tell you how great the dealers and parts availability are, if they don't break why do they need parts??? From an operator's point of view the Cats are great but from a mechanics view they are terrible, that is why I like AC, I have spent a life time working on all three ,Cat, IH,and AC, and I find the latter the easiest to work on, if I have to
 A local ripper guy has FD30's, now these tractors have lived on vineyard ripping and no failures yet that I know of, and they are going to the max all the time.
 Everyone says the 41's are weak, I would take one if it came my way, I remember when I was a kid, when they first came out, there was an article in the Western Construction magazine on them, someplace  they were removing an old airport or airstrip and instead of blasting or sawing the concrete they were using 41's to bust it up with the rippers and it was thick, over 4 feet as I recall, that has been I long time ago so don't hold me to it, it was impressive none the less. If anyone of them breaks you will need a hefty wallet no matter the make. My dream tractor is the Euclid TC12, but I don't think that I will ever have to worry about that.

Who has more fun than people on tractors? AC tractors;   Tad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic