This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asphalt Drive??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark/Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asphalt Drive??
    Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:58am

Wondering if any of you fellows has had any experience with a asphalt sealers.

I had the drive paved last summer, and want to put some good sealer soon.  If you have any recomendations or suggestions, please let me know...  Thanks...
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 4:59pm
most recommendations are to wait a few years, I would then look at a good sealer from prof instead of the buckets. If you notice when they seal roads they add granular material also for a new wear or drive surface. It is a water based asphalt material made form petroleum tars.
 Fog coating with a dilute mix only makes it look black and does little to prolong life. Find out what a reputable pro will charge before you go to the big box store.
 Watch out for the fly by night outfits as they prey on people not knowing what it costs for material and labor to what they are getting . be sure anyone is a reputable contractor.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Lyle124 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 8:15am
I tried the buckets and no mater how good you mix them it still makes your drive look like a checker board. I had it sprayed the next year and ended up costing less than it did by the bucket and held up better. Lyle
5040 Bad Boy Mower
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 10:11am
I usually use the coal tars based bucketed stuff at our lake house driveway, works decent and yes it may be patchy but if you sweep it on with a wide disposable, wood or other really stiff bristle brush it does coat well.  My last coating has lasted 7 years over the first two of less than 3 each but I did apply them incorrectly using a mop by suggestion.
Ron S/IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron S/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 10:36am
I used to do sealing and had a good squeegee machine with the brushes. A good brush and squeegee job is the best way to apply the material.  Mark your driveway is ready to seal this year. It has cured. I would recommend to my clients that when the "black" was wearing off it was time to seal. The best time of the year is late summer. The pavement is still hot , it seals good and is easier to apply.  The most important thing is filling the cracks properly. If you catch the pavement when it is a little cooler it has shrunk and the cracks are open. Blow the cracks out good and fill with good crack filler. Your new drive should not have many cracks in it as of yet. The reason for filling and sealing is to keep the water from getting under and into the pavement. Not filling the cracks will allow the water under the pavement and it will go to pieces in a hurry. If you drive has much slope on it you need to use the coating with sand in it.  The mix in the bucket is good. look for new product and stir well.  

Edited by Ron S/IL - 05 Mar 2011 at 10:37am
Ron Stork
Co-Owner Sign Solutions and Promotions.
We can custom make signs, decals and any promotional items you may want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic