This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190 gas timing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190 gas timing?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 4:21pm
I am having trouble timing When #1 cyl is at tdc, pointer is on pully mark then do I put wire from #1 on to cap where rotor is pointing? 1-5-3-6-2-4 is timing sequence so rest of wires go on to cap how? My cap and wires I took off another 2800 gas has no #1 on a different hole on cap that does not line up with rotor @TDC and follows in sequence 2-3-4-5-6.  I am not the best at trying to explain so let me know what you think. I know there are some good mechanics that could probably do this with there eyes closed.
1959 D 17 gas , 1964 190 gas, 1965 190xt gas AC 4bottom slat plow, 6 row 30in #72 planter Im not getting bigger my cloths are just getting smaller.
Sponsored Links

Tramway Guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tramway Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 4:30pm
You have to be on the TDC mark at the correct stroke; if you are in the right spot, both valves will be closed and the rockers loose on #1 cylinder.  Then insert the wires in the cap, starting with #1 which will be where the rotor is pointing.  Then, put the wires in the cap in the direction of rotor rotation, #5, #3, #6, #2 and finally #4.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 4:53pm
Once running, use a timing light and at FULL throttle, time at 25 degrees before top dead center. Do not time any sooner than 25 (not 26 or 27 or 30) it will detonate and you'll have a piston top come off. Use AC 44XL spark plugs which are one notch colder.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 6:51pm
i cant quite get it to start it turns over tries to start then backfires. It is getting gas, something is just not quite right. It acts like it wants to start, but I dont want to hurt anything. Question, everytime you take distributor out of an engine, it then needs to be retimed when installing again , and #1  cyl ,rotor position will be different everytime.
1959 D 17 gas , 1964 190 gas, 1965 190xt gas AC 4bottom slat plow, 6 row 30in #72 planter Im not getting bigger my cloths are just getting smaller.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:02pm
The oil pump is what drives the distributor....timing doesn't change when you pull it in and out and it only goes in ONE way if I remember right.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:05pm
Take the number one plug out and put your thumb over the whole. Have someone bump the engine over until you feel pressure build up under your thumb. Bring the engine up to the TDC timimg mark. Your distributor rotor will now be pointing to number 1 wire. Now hook wires up following the direction of rotation of the rotor. That should get it close enough to start.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:24pm
I wish I could draw a picture on this thing to illistrate, well I will try again tomorrow, I have done pretty much everything that you guys have said and it just wont quite go, Yes dist drives off oil pump, I took this cap and wires off of the combine engine that was in there, and its as if the wires for #1 and #4 are too short, when in combine engine(2800 same as one I have in tractor now) #1 was in a different spot/post  so I had to move wire, (1&4 are longest followed by 2&5 and so on) when combine engine was in ther it ran great  (that is the part I cant figure out too),except for It had wrong front cover plate with no governor.  The rotor turns counter clockwise and that is how I have the wires in order 1then 5 and so on. Let me know if it could be anything else. Thanks
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:32pm
Just remember, being on the timing mark does not necessarily put you on TDC for the number 1 plug. You have to either check for the compression stroke with your thumb or watch the valves operate as you come up on the mark.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 7:29am
I will try again today, the only other thing is that i know the cam gear wore so could that throw off the timing?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 6:36pm
The oil pump must be timed to get the distributor to come out correctly. You may want to rotate/move all the plug wires one hole clockwise which would advance the timing and then you may be able to counterclockwise the dist itself.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:02pm
I got it running had 2 wires crossed, , I am now having an issue with the carb and gov linkage. A part on the carb that sets the idle is broke off so I need to order parts it ia a bendix/zenith if anyone knows a good place to order carb parts let me know. Is there any rule of thumb in regards to setting carb/ governor relationship?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic