This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has This Ever Happened To You??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has This Ever Happened To You??
    Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:43am
I told you guys a couple of days ago that there was an AC 310 mower at our local auction and I thought I could get it really cheap. Well I would've except for one little thing, this is the good part, there is my best friend and fellow forum member (jmr450) who also knows what he is looking at. Anyway to make a long story short me and him got into a bidding war and drove the price about twice as high as it would normally go because we both just couldn't imagine it going home with someone other than ourselves. But he won, I think I stopped at $150 or $175 but I don't really know how it got to him paying $225 or $250 for it because no one else bid on it.

At least I know it is going to a good home but I still believe mine would've been better. LOL

Oh well, I guess that is how it goes. Thank god their is another auction next week. Hopefully some more AC's.

PS. Josh, I know you are reading this and just let it be known that you win this round but it is not over. LOL

Edited by AllisChalmers37 - 27 Feb 2011 at 7:45am
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Sponsored Links

Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:11am
Sounds like the plot for another good reality show "AC Wars"  he he he
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:12am

What is CHEAP.I never unstood what CHEAP meant.LOL

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:15am
Like the one guy said on storage wars said  .He will have to get he B@!!'$ out of his wife's pocket book.LMAO
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:23am
The reason why the price ended up so much higher, is because of what they call a 'Buyer's Premium'.

When you go to an auction, read the fine print- they usually tack on a minimum charge, usually followed by a percentage of the sale price.

http://www.ganews.co.uk/premium.html

Difference of $75.00, when the total price was $250, and hammer-price was $175, means the buyer's premium was PROBABLY 30%.

Edited by DaveKamp - 27 Feb 2011 at 8:25am
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

The reason why the price ended up so much higher, is because of what they call a 'Buyer's Premium'.

When you go to an auction, read the fine print- they usually tack on a minimum charge, usually followed by a percentage of the sale price.

http://www.ganews.co.uk/premium.html

Difference of $75.00, when the total price was $250, and hammer-price was $175, means the buyer's premium was PROBABLY 30%.

No that's not what I meant. I mean the bidding stopped at $250
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Orange Blood Orange Blood wrote:

Sounds like the plot for another good reality show "AC Wars"  he he he

I like the way you think. LOL

Edited by AllisChalmers37 - 27 Feb 2011 at 9:13am
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:18am
I really liked the score sheet you made up for the "AC" war, that was really clever. It took me a bit to remember where London is till I remembered the "chicken house" at the 41 mm. Then it was, "Oh yeah!". I used to go to Corbin and take off on 25E to get to Charlotte, NC, and other places when I delivered new semi trailers down that way. Nice country. Wasn't Corbin the home of Colonel Sanders and his first restaurant? Joe
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:27am
I was at a sale once where I was not bidding but the auctioneer kept pointing to me and raising the bid on the guy who really wanted it.  Thought that was pretty slimy.

Been at other sales where people up the bid on themselves.

I'm no expert but I'd say bid slow and ask the guy helping out who has the bid and what it's at if your not sure.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Dipstick In Dipstick In wrote:

I really liked the score sheet you made up for the "AC" war, that was really clever. It took me a bit to remember where London is till I remembered the "chicken house" at the 41 mm. Then it was, "Oh yeah!". I used to go to Corbin and take off on 25E to get to Charlotte, NC, and other places when I delivered new semi trailers down that way. Nice country. Wasn't Corbin the home of Colonel Sanders and his first restaurant? Joe

Glad you liked it. Here it is. I didn't know if anyone else would like it. And YES Corbin is the home to the first KFC.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 12:22pm
"I was at a sale once where I was not bidding but the auctioneer kept pointing to me and raising the bid on the guy who really wanted it.  Thought that was pretty slimy."

Yep, that is.  I've seen 'em do that too.  There's quite a few dirty tricks floating around...  One of the earliest ventures I ever remember going on with my grandfather, was to the auction barn... I learned quite a few things about auctions that day, but also found out why there's a big difference between going to a sale barn, and a travelling auction.

Edited by DaveKamp - 27 Feb 2011 at 12:23pm
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:31pm

Sometimes if you and a friend are after the same thing it doesn't hurt to try and make a gentlemens agreement before hand so you aren't just running each other up, find out what each other is willing to pay maybeonecan't even compete with the other, or you let him have one and he lets you have the next one. The item may have went higher because of a minimum on it, the the auctioneer had a phone bid, or you were just bidding against the auctioneer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic