This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"C" Drawbar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "C" Drawbar
    Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:30am
How much downward or tongue weight can be put on a "C" drawbar? If I use a turnbuckle, chain or some other form of link from the drawbar to the fender angles will the angles be strong enough to offer some stiffness? I have a log arch and could see up to 1500 lbs. depending on the size of log and how far forward of the axle it sits. Does anyone have an idea or suggestion?
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:10am
Factory braces were optional to add support to the drawbar. They were used when mounting under belly sickle mowers. How much weight the drawbar will support and still keep the front wheels on the ground is not all that much.
    When it got real muddy in the sweet corn fields we hauled out sacks of 5 dozen ears on a sheet of 3/4 plywood mounted on a B drawbar. Ropes tied to the seat springs supported the back edge of the plywood. With a load we had to stear with the brakes.
     I have seen scrap B and C bull gear housings with the inside back corners broke out. This tells me the drawbars are stronger then the castings they are bolted to. Something to think about. I would guess 1500 lbs of drawbar download would max out a 2500 lb C
Pipe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:20am
might want to rethink that one . people flip tractors over all the time . Some dont live to talk about it .
cmsmoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:56am
  Thanks for your concerns. I don't doubt it will be maxed out to say the least. Enough front end weight, using common sense and being aware of the situation, hopefully will keep me safe.  I know all about overtaxing equipment (28 year heavy equipment operator). The scope of the origonal question is how to protect the mounts on the final drives. I can test the limits of the tractor once it is strong enough. I could use a dolly, but that could be a real pain. The main idea of the arch is to keep the wood clean, like I said earlier I can center it more on the arch axle, which could let it drag, defeating the purpose.
  I was using a Wheel Horse garden tractor which handled the tongue weight, but was entirely too light to stop that kind of load and having thoughts of being drug backwards down a hill send chills down my spine. I know the "C" has a longer lever from the axle centerline to the hitch point, which needs to be taken into consideration, but a 2500 lb. farm tractor with over twice the wheel base has to be better than a 750 lb. garden tractor for this type of work. 
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:57am
I would think you would want to change the design of that log arch if your getting that much forward off balance condition.  Sounds like about a 1000 pounds more than it should have. 

I pulled my C for over ten years without any drawbar braces and never broke anything. About that many years with different B's as well without braces.  1500 pounds would come close to lifting the front sitting still.  To take 1500 pounds on the drawbar you will need a good sized tractor with plenty of weight on the front.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic