This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Narrow front end 720 lawn tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Narrow front end 720 lawn tractor
    Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:30pm
I brought up the idea of installing a narrow front end on an Allis Chalmers 720 a few weeks ago. My mechanic friend who can do almost anything call it another of my "Nightmares".  Well we tackled it and it is near completion.  I took it out Tuesday for a run and it steers great...I like it.  I usually seek out narrow front end tractors so this goes with that train of thinking. I still have 3 with the wide front end still on them and this one is totally reversible as the front end is bolted on...not welded.  Here's some of the progress in pictures.

This first picture is where we made a bracket to accept the mule drive for belly mounted equipment.  We are going to be able to run all the belly mowers as before.  We are using a left over frame from a salvaged tractor to mock this up on and then transfer it to the real tractor.

Here Kerry is lining up the narrow front end to continue fabing up the front end.

Here is the front end with it's first bolting to the front end.  The pulley on the top of the shell was to help line up the belt to the mule drive.  We did not need it as we will keep the original body of the mule drive as is but have to remove the tension-er.

Now with the steering connected.  You can see some of the additional front end bracing that we added.

Here's the front end attached to the subject tractor.

Got the engine remounted

And now a series of pictures of the finished product. 

This one with the mule drive installed

Next step is to repaint the entire machine.  While the paint in the pictures looks good...up close or in person it is in pretty sad shape.  Once painted, I'll put the sickle mower on it and be ready for spring mowing and also for this years shows.  Thanks for looking.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:52pm
You may want to "beef up" that pedestal a little though. Looks like it would easily bend or break if subjected to any accidental amount of force. Looks awesome though!

just my 2 cents.
Luke

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:10pm
Luke,
If you could see what is under there you would most likely change your mind.  Kerry overdoes things like this and I would not be afraid to take that machine anywhere.  It is of course like any narrow front end machine...I have heard of people braking the front end off a WD.  Abuse can do make a mess of the best engineering.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:26pm
Den - Looks good.  My only comment is why such small front wheels.  Looks like 8", could have used 10 or 12"
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:38pm
I agree on the size of the wheels, but it looks like it's pretty close to that bracket already and if you would have used larger wheels/tires, it would have to be mounted further out for clearance and probably wouldn't look right.    Would have looked out of place like a Case SC? narrow front
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:44pm
Is that the 720 we sold you? I think it would look great with 8-16 ag bar tires on rear. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
Al and Chuck...Larger wheels would have eliminated the use of the mule drive or as was said, moved the wheels forward.  If we moved the wheels forward, the hood would not be able to be opened or would have had to been altered.  One priority in this project was to keep the usage of the belly mounted equipment.  And no...did not want it to look like one of the old  "chicken roost" case front ends.
This is the 720 that I got from Dale Garver at Ava, Illinois.  Yes, rear ag tires will go on with the sickle mower.
Keep the comments coming...Den

BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:23pm
Den   Looks like you have done great job with a lot of fore thought going into the project.Thanks for sharing.
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm
Not too shabby.... I was kind of surprised to see this project actually happening!  Glad someone here has more ambition than me this winter, LOL!  Though I think larger wheels would look better, I understand the logistics of it.  Good work, keep us posted.  
So, what's next?
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Steve M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm
That's great, it's neat to see one thats not  "green' or "red".  After doing some projects like this myself it really makes you appreciate engineers a little more.  Tire size, location and other such things that can really screw you up if not thought out clearly and then theres still some trial and error to it. Seems like theres always some give and take to what you really want and what will fit or work when finished. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:51pm
Besides putting a narrow front end on this tractor...the main thing was to keep it in use.  We have all seen other narrow front ends on garden tractors but in most (if not all cases) cases the use of front and belly equipment was lost.  As far as this one...could not (or want to) put the loader on it.  Not sure about the front blade and also doubt that the snow blower would be able to be used.  Den

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:53pm
Oh, what's next....still want a snap coupler 720.  It will happen if I live long enough (like another 20 or 30 years?).  Den

Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by den/southern illinoi den/southern illinoi wrote:

Oh, what's next....still want a snap coupler 720.  It will happen if I live long enough (like another 20 or 30 years?).  Den
Well this only took a couple of weeks, so I'll be looking for the snap coupler the beginning of March, LOL!  keep it up
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:37pm
I like it...I think you should call it a 720XT!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:12pm
Actually, if you already have one with a 3pt, a snap coupler wouldn't be much of a task besides maybe getting the bell receiver to function properly. I think there are single bottom snap coupler plows out there, or at least a two that you could remove the  second from. Or, you got a mechanic to build ya one. I challenge you to the Task!!! LOL
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 4:29am
Den, Now that is sharp. Will have to make sure I remember to scope it out my next trip to your place. Just store it beside those tires your holding for me. LOL I'm absolutely certain I would not mistakenly load it up thinking it was my tires.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:23am
Den, That's just plain cool! The front end looks like it's built to take the weight of a blade. GOOD JOB!!!!
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 10:53am
Put some rubber on the the back, some weight brackets on and see what it will do!
Probably not much with the twin belts driving the pump.

What was used for the front spindle?  My gears are starting to turn. 

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 12 Feb 2011 at 11:05am

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:56am
Joe, front spindle is from a "G" front end that I could not get ride of...cut in two, shortened and put back together.  There are parts of the 720, "G:, C, and fender brackets from a D 17 involved in the front end.  
The slow down in snap coupler on the 720 is that I'd like to do it more to scale and then there's converting equipment to snap coupler.  It may happen.  Den

AC720 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:49pm
Nice looking AC720!

It really looks unique with the narrow front end, now it just needs its bigger brother, unless you own a 190XT narrow front end.

Take Care Jason B
bigallis1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigallis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:17pm
Nice Den!
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm
Bump. Is this the one you're looking for Larry?
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic