This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new Gleaner combine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new Gleaner combine
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:05pm
Finally had a chance to get my new Gleaner M2 (78 model) home today.  Ran good the whole way.  I really like the upgrades from the earlier strait series (K,F,G, M, L) vs the 2 series.  The rocker switches to control everything are wonderful as are the digital readouts on groundspeed, fuel level, cylinder speed and of course the tattletale system.  These had to be tops in their day. 
This one came with a 438 head (which is for sale), and an 18ft bean platform (on a header trailer).  Header trailer pulls nice and strait as well.
Adam

Edited by Sandknob - 29 Jan 2011 at 8:06pm
Sponsored Links

Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:07pm
bakwoodsfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:30pm
great looking machine, just cut a deal on a F2 today, can't wait to get her home. It has a 13ft flex bean head with height control!! That will be nice.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:34pm
Adam,
That's a big step up from the pull type that you pulled a couple hundred miles from here in Southern Illinois to your house several years ago.  Looks good.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:37pm
I am thoroughly convinced that they are the best designed combines in their day. Many liked the old Deeres but get into a 6600 or 7700 or 20 series then jump into your M2. IH wasn't even comparable until the rotaries. Look at the features your M2 has compared to Deere and IH and any other. Not to mention the simplicity. I guess I just can't say enough good about them old Gleaners.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:45pm
Den,
Your right about the step up.  6ft to 18ft.  Can get a lot more done per hr now!  The thing is that 66 was definately just as much fun to run as this will be.  I really enjoyed the 66 as many days go by I still wish I had it, but time marches.  I went from 1/2 acre to 5 acres to 10 and now I will be close to 40.  In the next couple years I am looking into options to bring us near 120-155.
Lonn,
I had a chance to buy a 6600 at one time too.  A buddy of mine had it.  I knew it was well cared for, but I just wasn't that impressed with it.  He showed me all the bells and whistles it had and all I could think was that (my F has all those too and it is older), except for size and the hydraulic auger (sort of).  Don't get me wrong, his machine was an extremely clean version and well taken care of, but for the money I could get a lot nicer Gleaner.
Adam
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
bakwoodsfarm,
You will enjoy that F2 and expecially the height control.
Adam
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:10pm
I do happen to know a little history on it too.  Kind of interesting:
Was purchased new in Poseyville In by a Joe Blankenberger.  Next owner was a fellow here in Oblong - Max Hossier.  Max farmed till about 15 yrs ago at which point he had an auction and sold his equipment.  Farmer from Annapolis Il bought it - Kenneth Hand and then I purchased it from his grandson who had been using it after his grandfather got out of farming.  Here is the neat part.  Our neighbor is Max Hossier's wife (Max passed away about 4-5 years ago). 
Adam
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:54pm
So I missed the event by one day?  
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:04pm
Adam - congratulations!  Someday farther down the road I hope to upgrade to an F2 or maybe an M2 as well.  Still love my EIII though!  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:09pm
Dale,
Actually only missed part of it by about 8 hrs.  I brought the platform home last night.  had a heck of a time getting it out of the guys yard with the red/black truck you see in the pics.  Didn't do too bad for a 1/2 ton beater.  I bought that truck for parts and ended up licensing and titling it to drive as a beater until I finish the restoration on my other truck.  Ended up spending more on it than I wanted, but it runs good and will get me by till the 84 D250 is done.
Adam
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:14pm
Skyhigh,
Sometime you should take a look inside the cab of one of these.  Its quite a step up from the EIII/K/early F cab.  My only complaint on this one is no radio, but I think I can fix that as I have some new speakers and an old radio out of a Jeep Grand Cherekee.  Digital face on radio will actually match the digital readouts in the combine!
Adam
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 1:51am
That is a nice combine! Plus I see the old workhorse Dodge (1981-1985) sittin' there. It looks like you've done made the truck earn it's keep now you have to make the combine earn it's! LOL
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
ACMAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 7:38am
Adam, looks like a big brother to my F-2 even the same year these things are simple and easy to work on. They can get as clean grain as most newer machines with less loss. Good looking machine!
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:32am
Adom you will miss the old "A" out there picking corn. lol
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 12:03pm
Ya just keep stepping up - cool.  Hope you have a good crop and enjoy a bountiful harvest.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 7:32pm
Great combine!! I always enjoy pictures of the conventional Gleaners!! I hope you enjoy it!! Send pictures of cab interior if you can. These combines were so far ahead of any competitors machines I can only stratch my head at what went wrong. Ryan
bandit2058 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bandit2058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 12:05pm
Hey can anyone please tell me bin size for wheat on gleaner L2?i keep getting different sizes on ads,iam trying to buy one and would like to know,thanks
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 2:16pm

Adam, that is a great looking M2 combine & heads.  It must have been well cared for?  Does yours have the 301 or 426 engine? 

One of the upgrades you mentioned [electric rocker control switches in the cab] can sometimes be problematic?  Mice can chew on the wiring inside the console, so next fall when you push the button nothing might happen-electric over hydraulic or separator clutch?  The older separator mechanical throw levers were hard to beat for simplicity.  Beside mice, the electrical wiring connectors that spin on each shaft's clutch magnet can wear out.  I always kept a new wiring clutch connector on the parts shelf along with at least one new separator clutch & clutch magnet.  There not hard to replace.

wheatbreeder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheatbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 2:49pm
nice machine you will love it 
Morley 
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by bandit2058 bandit2058 wrote:

Hey can anyone please tell me bin size for wheat on gleaner L2?i keep getting different sizes on ads,iam trying to buy one and would like to know,thanks

Later L2 holds 200 bu starting in about 1978. Earlier ones held I think 180 bu or less.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic