This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD20 DOZER IN ACTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD20 DOZER IN ACTION
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:27am
Hi guys, thought I should post some pictures of 1 of our 3 HD2O cable dozers from our AC collection. This is a HD20H serial no. 5223,  1953 model. They were powerd by a 6-110 detroit. This one has a GARWOOD 281 rear cable control unit and a CARCO model 6094 cable blade. This model of blade has a 24V electric tilt function which we have seen before but not a working one. We plan on restoring it to working condition. Other than that everything works good it just needs new paint and decals.
Sponsored Links

Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:37am
Thats quite a machine Mel. I really love the old dozers and crawlers. Just wish I had a way to keep and move one or two. My grand dad worked on those back in the 40s and 50s. Here is the closest thing I can own, my rendition in pencil.....

1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:45am
Just in case any body thinks the tractor is to big for one person to run alone, there right. The black and white dude is HOOCH he dosen't miss any AC tractor rides if possible. ACs are his favorite tractors also. (cause thats all we have)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:52am
Hey Mel. I was just going through my grand dad's old service records looking for any HD20 machines he might have worked on. About half done. Do you know where your machines might have originated? Most of what he serviced and demonstrated was located in Texas. Just curious if you knew the origination of your equipment. Be really neat to make a connection back to his records.
Jeff
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:01am
Its nice to sill see bigger dozers out working.   Nice dozer
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
jbtaglio View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbtaglio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 12:37pm
Nice.  I may have played with this machine in the past.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:29pm
Nice dog! My dog Jack would love for me to get a big dozer for him to ride on.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 6:52pm
Jeff, use that serial# I posted 5223 to see if that passed through your grandfathers hands. I'm sure any normal service work would have written down the serial no. then just like they do today. We got these machines from a farm in the N.saramento valley of Ca. in the town of Orland.  We're not sure but we were told they had been there for many years probably back at least as far as the 1960s. one of them is better equiped for logging than farming. The other 2 have rear cable control units that could have been used for cable scrapers, a very popular thing for land leveling in the Sacramento valley back in the 1940s and 50s. We got a total of 5 of them at the time, 3 complete and 2 skeletons for parts. If you have any other HD 20 serial #s in the paperwork let me know and I'll check all the other numbers we have. Nothing would suprise me about where any of these machine have been. Also my brother and I really like your pencil rendition, we think it appears to be of a HD16 or HD21 AND we think it would look good on the office wall here with our other AC memrobilla for our collection, Mel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:15pm
Thanks Mel!
I ran through the entire book today, and did not find anything listed for an HD20. Tons of HD16s, HD6s, and several HD21s. Many motor graders as well. Yes he did document the machines well. Every page has the serial number of the machine, engine, wench, and any other component that had a serial number. Also had customer names, phone numbers, and what was done to the machine on each service call. It is truely a great treasure to have. If you like that drawing, you will get a kick out of my cartoon style creations of the AC crawlers.

Edited by Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) - 29 Jan 2011 at 8:16pm
PJsomd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJsomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:18pm
nice pics and dozer
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:27pm
That is really cool-the drawings and the real thing!!!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:29pm
Jeff, love the cartoons too. Don't know if you know it, but to the trained AC eye we can see that you put detroit engines in these two cartoons. You were apparently working from a cross section of HD9s,15s,19s,or 20s. We have more pictures if you have more drawings or cartoons . Truth be known I'd even enjoy reading the work orders that your grandfather wrote, Mel
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 11:02pm
Those old HD20 crawlers had the 6-110 engines, I almost owned on of them but let it go because I figured the trucking would eat up another wad of money. But do have an old cable dozer HD19 with the old 6-71 in it... Starts so easy on a little car battery.
 Also have an HD15 with hyd blade that needs lots of work but sure was fun to use while I had it running. It blew oil out of the stack. It would fill the air chamber an then when she went nose up or nose down, we had a run away. Figured the blower had the seals out of it.
  Seeing your dog on the dozer reminded me of two of my dogs I had, they both had to ride the machines or be with in the truck.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:33am
JC,here's one of our HD15s although it has a cable CARCO dozer and front unit. It was born to log the big redwood here in N.Ca. We rescued it many years ago and it's resting comfotably here waiting for restoration. Everything on it works ok
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:43am
get that blade shined up haha...  its good to see the big machines still working.  im glad that my dad and myself arnt the only ones to love to work the big allis machines.
iv posted these before but i love to share.  Hd10W, HD15, HD16.  Hd15 now has a different blade and my Hd16 now has a brushrack on it.

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:08pm
Cal, love your pictures. Can you post some new pictures so we can see your different blade and your brush rake. Heck, start a new post, AC blades and brush rakes. I can follow up for you, Mel
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 4:59pm
Mel,  id be glad to post some more pics.  If i said brush rake, i meant brush Rack, or canopy to protect the operator..  Dad is getting ready to put a "canopy" on his Hd15, ill get some newer pics of it and my HD16.
Forestgnome View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:29pm
Nice to see another AC crawler being kept from the scrap heap in California. I'm in NorCal too. I have a 1956 vintage HD-11S that saw a lifetime of use on a farm down in Salinas. It's still a great running machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic