This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Little boy addicted to JD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little boy addicted to JD
    Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:04pm
I had an interesting conversation with my 3 1/2 year old tonight who is obsessed with John Deere.  When discussion what theme we were going to have for his next birthday party, of course he said "John Deere again".  When I asked, "What's with all this green talk?  We're an orange family now!"  he replied, "Why are you so scared of John Deere, dad???"  He's slowly coming around but something's gotta give.  I immediately told my wife I had to share this one with the find folks on the AC forum.

I HAVE to start looking for some AC toy tractors and implements to "phase out" all of the green in this house......
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:11pm
Toys and tractor rides. Let him steer.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:12pm
I've been working on our 2 year old nephew to get him going in the right (orange) direction.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
beeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:18pm
How sad. I'm told this can happen in the best of families.  I hope an"intervention" won't be needed down the line.........
1949 B   3930 Ford- Have owned other Orange ,green,red,yellow,dark green tractors and equipment.
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:27pm
When all else fails try this. LOL
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:54pm
How did the green toys get in your house in the first place?   I think you have yourself to blame!!!   Just kidding.   Yes, let him drive the tractor around the back yard for awhile and he will be hooked.   My two girls go with dad on the D15 around the backyard at least once a month in the summer.   With the power steering making it so easy to steer, I don't have to help either of them.   I have even taken the oldest all the way down to the inlaws house and back.   They don't understand my orange obsession so it gets them all worked up so I kill two birds with one stone. 
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:18pm
Took my Grandson for a ride this last summer on my 45.  His other Grandpa is a Deere man.  Guess what he wanted for Christmas?!?!  You got it, ORANGE.  His birthday April 3rd is an Allis WD45 Pedal Tractor I got at an auction.  It is like new!!  Set me back a whole $85.00  My daughter can't believe that I paid that much and that I am going to let him ride it and scratch it up!!  If she only knew what it is really worth!!  Priceless Memories!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Mike M. WNY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike M. WNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:22pm
I think in some cases its terminal, my 13year old daughter has a case of the greens, ever scince I restored a 1935 B for my Aunt and Uncle a year or so ago. It was a paying job or there wouldn't have been any green paint in my spray gun. Now she begs her great Aunt & Uncle to drive it every chance she gets at the shows. She even has her own WC & C to drive.
Tis better to have and not need than need and not have.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:41pm
Ya gotta start em young!
yochujr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:45pm
Haha, these are great.  Exactly the types of responses I expected.

The green originally got into my house because I didn't own anything orange at the time and the green toys are everywhere!  Plus, I live in a predominately green area (the US!).

I've let him ride with me and he's even helped me work on it but that green is still in his head.  Actually, before he even learned his colors by their proper names he refered to green as "John Deere", red was pronounced "Case", blue was pronounced "New Holland" and orange was pronounced "Kobatur (Kobata)".  It was cute at the time but I'm terribly ashamed now!  I've really got my work cut out for me. 

Hopefully I don't get kicked from the site for posting the green picture but once you see him, you'll understand why I might have to let it slide if I can't get him converted.  Or at the very least, but some of my AC orange spray paint to work under the cover of darkness!!  Even the cat has a dang green collar!

Oldoug View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:48pm
The cat even has a green collar...wow.
Matt Folkers

FOLKERS RESTORATION

Restoring vintage things to last so the future can enjoy our past.
yochujr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Oldoug Oldoug wrote:

The cat even has a green collar...wow.

Yep, I told you he's got it bad.......
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:59pm
You could get him an orange cat...LOL
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:16pm
and that is why John Deere is a great manufacturer and everyone thinks they are so great. Kids get the toys, kids think their great. Think I'm kidding? Nope. Here's proof. I've always said AGCO needed more toys for this very reason...

(I gotta say, I was the same way)
yochujr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by morton(pa) morton(pa) wrote:

and that is why John Deere is a great manufacturer and everyone thinks they are so great. Kids get the toys, kids think their great. Think I'm kidding? Nope. Here's proof. I've always said AGCO needed more toys for this very reason...

(I gotta say, I was the same way)

Couldn't agree more.  They sure know how to market their name and their items are everywhere.  Hopefully I can run across some new toys at the show this year and get him more interested but we had a little talk tonight and agreed that once it warms up, he'll get to steer the b around the yard some more.  Hopefully by that time, I'll have driven it around enough to have learned to share myself!!  LOL
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 2:25am
Mom made me an AC birthday cake a few years ago. She couldn't find an AC tractor to sit on top of it so she took some of my PO#1 out of a rattle can and painted a Deere. She actually did a good job but couldn't believe that I could tell the difference! It was the thought that counted.

We have a couple of Deere's in the garage that are my Dad's. My little nephew is ate up with JD. I took the liberty this past Summer to try to convert him. Here's a pic of his tractor driving lesson...
Just when I thought I was finishing my "honey-do-list", she turned the page!!!
Brad(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 7:19am
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 7:21am
morton is right! marketing is efective at an early age, and I got to admit that is a very nice little tractor he is riding.
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 7:42am
Our 3 year old grandson Jake prefers the D21 - diesel - both in real form and in a toy.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 3:10pm
I let my two year old son play with the only massey toy I have, (a plastic Bruder one), because I don't care if he breaks it.  He's got a bunch of JD stuff too because they have some pretty nice little boy things where AGCO is zilch.  Anyway, by the time he gets old enough I may be blue anyway. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 3:36pm
When I was a kid in Ohio in the early '50s,  I had some JD toys, a narrow front tractor, disk and pull type combine.  Wish I still had them just for the collector's value.  Funny thing is that we had an AC B, the neighbors all had IHC, Ford and Fergusons, not a John Deere within miles!  And yet I had JD toys.  Just goes to show you JD has been "pushing green" for a long time.  Just talked to my cousin who now lives across the road from our place.  Almost every machine he owns is green and only one is an Oliver!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic