This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Wheel
    Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:33am
Does anybody know what this wheel was for?
There is gear like teeth on the inside of the hub and cleats on the surface of the wheel that make contact with the earth.
There are only three wheels and one is still at my mother-in-law's house.  My deceased father-in-law originally had 4 and gave one away a long time ago.  I took 2 home so far and notice that on one wheel the cleats are almost all worn away.  We are going to bring the 3rd one home on the next trip so I'm not sure of it's condition.  Since I'm going to display in the front of the house and I wanted to paint them orange.  My wife over ruled me on that one so they are going to be painted the same color as the shutters.
Sponsored Links

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:36am
My wild guess is that it's off a binder.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:39am
or an old rake
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:45am
could be off of old grain drill, or seeder

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:55am
pull type sickle mower?
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:56am
It is off a team mower. HTH Tracy Martin
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:00am
something like this

Edited by R.W - 10 Jan 2011 at 10:01am
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:17am

McCormick horse draw mower.  WQhen the snow melts in april. I could get picture of the mower we still use in the pasture.

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:23am
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 1:17pm
Fred and some of the others that responded must be youngsters or city folks if they didn't recognise what that wheel came from. LOL. We didn't put up a lot of hay so we used one like that on the farm in southern Saskatchewan that the tongue had been cut off and a couple of metal straps bolted on so that we could pull it with the tractor. We probably used it until the mid 70's when my father bought a used 1953 industrial Ford Jubilee that came with a FEL, ARPS half tracks and a mid mount sickle mower. You really had to keep the blade sharp to keep the wheels from slipping when the grass was heavy.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Fred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:30pm
Wow...that's the wheels ok.  That didn't take long to come up with the answer to my question.   That would would explain why one is worn the way it is from working so hard. 
Thanks... mystery solved.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 5:17pm
your welcome! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic