This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Hours on an HD5 or HD6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Hours on an HD5 or HD6
    Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 4:01pm

Was wondering what the highest hour machine that you know of or have in your collection?

Seems most I have seen have around 6 - 8,000 hrs. on them. 
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:17pm
I am only guessing but think I have over 11,000 hours on mine . Then in checking the other day when changing filters I noticed last time changed was a few years back and looking in records I have only put 900 hours on it in 6 years.
  I bought the machine (HD5G) in 1972 so have had it a few years and is a 1955 srl#
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JHanson907 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHanson907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:39am
Do any of you guys have an original (or original type) of hourmeter that still works?  My 1950 HD5G has a nice looking one still there, but it doesn't run. 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:17am
Hello Coke and JHanson907:  Coke that is a fair amount of hours, have you had to replace the chain and plates during the time you owned it.
Note to J.Hanson - that is an excellent question, in fact I wonder who the vendor was that supplied the hour meter to AC - might be a Hobbs hourmeter - but not sure.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:56am
I am on my second set of tracks now , second set of sprockets, there were sprocket rings welded on sometime before i bought it . I am on my first engine overhaul yet, put in one new oil pump. Had crank turned as center main was bad, 2nd set of injectors, one head as valve seats burned in last one and it had a non leaking crack but shop said with crack seat would not hold (found out later that was wrong info) 4 new valves.
 Replaced master clutch with ceramic button, steering clutches HD11, 3rd set of brake bands, 2nd transmission output bearing,rebuild transmission with new bushing in reverse ideler gear and bearings and 1 tooth on high speed reverse gear, 1 replacement of ring gear bearings and seals, 1 set of top rollers, replaced front ideler bearings and seals.
 Update to solonoid type M46 Delco starter, 10SI altenator , 1 water-pump. New cutting edge and reinforced bucket bottom
 New brass bushing on master clutch output shaft, REMEMBER, do not idle machine in gear with clutch disengaged, this wears this bushing, put trany in neutral and engage clutch.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 10 Jan 2011 at 8:59am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JHanson907 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHanson907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:15pm
But does the hour meter still work...???  Just kidding.  Sounds like you have had your rig seriously torn apart.  I have a leaky seal on the left rear final drive and pretty worn tracks.  I have another set on a parts dozer that look really nice, in fact there can't be many hours on them at all.  I'm going to delve into breaking the tracks and swapping them out this summer (dead of winter up here in AK right now).  Never have done that, so will be a learning experience. 

Really would like to get the original hour meter to run.  I understand it has a signal from an oil pressure sensor, but haven't chased it down yet.  Pretty much just run it every summer, keep clean fuel in it, and change the filters and oil on a regular basis! 

Thanks for the advice on idling the rig.  Will watch for that.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:38pm
To change the seal you need to drop the truck frame off machine, on a 5B it isn't to hard to do but on the 5G as truck frame is attached to the loader also it becomes a job.
 What i did on one machine is make a plate to bolt to truck frame, drill and tap frame and then cut that piece of frame off to allow sprocket to be removed, replaced seals and sprocket , bolted the section back on, welded frame , removed plate and welded rest of frame up solid. Plate held everything in alignment and all worked well.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:26am
Coke: Who manufactured the injectors for the HD6, I am thinking they are different than the 5 since the HD5 has the Detroit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic