This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo on the 2-71?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHanson907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo on the 2-71?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 1:08am
Hey, here's a crazy idea.  Would it be possible to put a small turbocharger on the 2-71 in my HD5G, in addition to the supercharger?  Seen some crazy stuff being done on other diesels and this came to mind.  Anyone seen anything like this?  Any other ideas out there for boosting the hp a bit, without swapping motors?  What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:14am
I'm thinking your engine is around 70-80 HP?? I'd try a turbo from an AC 200-7000-7010 tractor if you wanted a turbo that would work.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:08am
Tag on the 2-71 in a HD5 says 48 HP from the one i have at least. As i used a later style T piston and liner in mine and upped the RPM some on governor I figure it's around 55 HP. As Detroit on their Silver Series used both Turbo and Super charger it should be possible, and that thought has also crossed my mind.
 Getting the right injector size to match air charge might be one problem that would have to be worked out.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JHanson907 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHanson907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:27pm
Good suggestions, both.  Will look into this a bit more.  There are some pretty sharp diesel guys here in Fairbanks.  Thanks!
fglass View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:35pm
If I'm not mistaken the compression ratio of the Detroit motors are different when comparing turbo charged versus naturally aspirated engines. I know it matters on the larger cubic inch detroits, better check with the dealer to make sure you get ALL the parts that need to be swapped out to make sure it works right.
Good luck with the project
Frank Glass
upper NYS
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:44pm
On the industrial engine liners the inlet holes look like a 8 with two holes set close, on the truck the inlets are larger, slanted slot . Air flow seems less restricted.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:44pm
When the Detroits were Turbo'ed from the factory, the blower drive ratio was changed to run it slower.  That way the blower did a little less work, the turbo made up for it as needed.  The efficiency was better that way.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 7:32am
That is probably true, but the addition of a TO-4 from the engine sizes I recommended will definately move more air thru the engine. When Detroit did it, they had emission rules to contend with. A 2-71 engine is 142 cubic inches that fires every time around, which could compare to a 284 cube engine in theory.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHanson907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:35am
Okay, so basically I should be looking for a turbo similar to that on an AC-200-7000-7010; replace the injectors w/ units built to handle the greater air volume; and possibly look at turning down the blower.  All will require a bit more research, I think, but I am definetely going to try this.  I have a spare 2-71, just in case...!! 
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:05pm
Well,they made a 6-71T.Now these were 4 valve heads but would it matter?One thing no ones mentioned is the turboed engines use a metal sealing ring seal on blower shafts.I'm guessing it's probably a direct replacement for the neoprene nat/asp seals because they shared alot of parts between engines.They were building 8V71T's along with NA 8V71's and if there was a way to put a metal seal in place of a neoprene one without changing housings,they would have done it.They probably made a 2-71T late in life.The "T's" might all use cross head pistons.This all should be available info from DDA.Comp ratios,injector size etc.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:07am
If you don't decompress the engine(shorter pistons) the compression ratio change will crack the head or cook the pistons leading to failure either way.  We had 318 Detroits 8V71 series with turbos in trucks, these engines when supercharged with a turbo became 350 Detroits but they had extra fuel delivered, decompressed pistons, different blower drive gear sets as well different lobe design to the blower, different sleeves and yes the inlet ports were different, and the cam timing was different.  Just adding a turbo may cost more than you can imagine once the damage starts.

The 350 Detroit smoked like hell cold and at a idle after sitting for a short time, very evident which ones they were in a lot while running.
fglass View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:31pm
That's the way I remembered all of the turbo vs non turbo differences to be.
It's not as easy as it sounds, an expensive conversion at best, but all changes are possible (if enough money is thrown at it).
FGlass
upper NYS
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:21pm
Dont do it! The reason hd5 cats lasted so long is that they were underpowered. Hd6s didnt last nearly as long as it was basically the same cat with much more power. If you want something that can do more work, find a hd11, they were good cats too, TREV.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHanson907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 12:09am
Evening Guys.  After all this, I think I'll leave it the way it iis!  Old Orange really does run very good already and is a joy to work with.  Got plenty of other work to do!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 3:27pm
Have been seeing on other sites were the 2-71 has been replaced with a 3-71.I think this was in a farming tractors rather than a dozier.Have a cousin that farms with HD9's,he has put 4 valve heads and larger injectors in 2 or 3 of them.Lots of power but now has trouble with final drives on a regular basis.I would think  using larger injectors and pistons and sleeves for the higher horse power would not put an undo strain on the rest of the drive train,if you us a little common sense.  
groanwow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groanwow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:26am
It seems to be a bit crazy..but its really innovative idea...Clap
you can give it a try, when you wrap up your other works...
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 9:56pm
Many HD5s with 371, 371N, HD9 and dry clutch HD11 with 471N and 671, and HD16 with engine power boosted way up over HD21 spec down here. Final drive failures would only occur with the same guys who wrecked final drives on factory horsepower tractors by not keeping bearing preload up on all shafts, or putting severe impact on them bulldozing and ripping in rock. I was one of the `wreckers` when I started. Now that I know how to look after final drives and other tractor componentry, I dont have any trouble.   Mac
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:36am
Just to add abit more to what mac said. There was special agricultural version of the HD6B called the HD6AG.  same back end as the 6B and HD5 final drives; with a turbocharged 7000 engine pushing out 90hp.
And is still alot of hotrodded HD5s down here with 3-71s on agricultural work still working down here after 60 years of toil; no doubt rebuilt but still pullin !
Again alot of the problems boil down to what sort of man is in the seat !
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic