This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chrome Pipe Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrome Pipe Help
    Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 2:21am
I have a chrome pipe it is a 6" pipe on my 1030 case and It is turning gold from the heat i guess coming through the pipe.  It is a bent pipe and the lower part is still fine but just before the bend is where its turning colors.  I thought that going to a 6" pipe instead of the 4" pipe would help but it hasnt.  Do any of you have any tricks to keep the chrome pipe chrome looking while you work your tractors?

Thanks
johnny
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:37am
I run a 5" chroe pipe on a D-21 but I have a 4" inside up to the curve. No discolouring problems after several hundred hours of cultivating.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 7:05am

A buddy of mine was putting a straight pipe on his JD 4855, and sprayed a whole can of high temp paint (if memory serves) inside it before installing.  Said it was to prevent what you describe.

Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 7:25am
A inside pipe run up the 6" with the bottom of the 6" open to the air , this will allow the movement of air up the space between to cool the pipe as the internal pipe causes a draft or suction .
 To remove the discoloration check at motorcycle shop for Blue-Away cream polish as it will remove the discoloration from the pipe.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
orangefever7357 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangefever7357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 7:34am
get one that is nickel plated first then chrome it will not turn colors
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 10:45am
Orangefever, almost all good chrome jobs are nickel plated first, you cant plate chrome directly to steel, it needs to have a metal compatible with both metals.  And it has the same problems running.  The only true solution I have seen is the two pipe method that Calvin and Coke state. 

Or run a high temp grade stainless but it won't take the shine(or last as well) as chrome due to being a softer metal, and still might discolor if you really work it in the field 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic