This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

more piston ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more piston ID
    Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:14am
As long as benny rasied the question, i thought i'd ask the same thing.  i had the head off my 48 wd last week.  this is the piston that is in it.  4 and 1/8 bore. obviously not original.  made out of aluminum.  can anyone identify the brand?  are these m & w or some other brand?  thanks  alan
Sponsored Links

Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:16am
M&W I have a set in a WD45.

Hope that helps,
Denis
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:29am
thanks.  i put a set of m & w in my wc a couple of years ago, but i didn't remember exactly what they looked like and i didn't take any pictures.
Allis Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:11pm
Have you checked what the stroke is? 4" is wd 4.5" wd45 crank. M&W ap46 is thw wd - wc part number  I think.
Allis orange blooded by family. Allis Diehard by choice
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by alan-nj alan-nj wrote:

As long as benny rasied the question, i thought i'd ask the same thing.  i had the head off my 48 wd last week.  this is the piston that is in it.  4 and 1/8 bore. obviously not original.  made out of aluminum.  can anyone identify the brand?  are these m & w or some other brand?  thanks  alan
while you have the head off take a syringe in ccs and see how much fluid that dish holds and how far below the deck the outside ledge is at tdc for me . will you?

Edited by mlpankey - 02 Jan 2011 at 5:30pm
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:18pm
mitch..  sorry, the head's back on the wd.  but, i will be pulling my wc apart sometime this winter.  the wc has the m&w ap48 pistons.  let me know if you want those measured.    allis fields...the wc has a 4 1/2 inch stroke, the wd has a 4 inch stroke.  alan
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:28pm
I think the M&W's hold  about 70cc.  I will check for sure, I have both AP46 and AP48 bead blasted and cleaned up.  I'll take a piece of plexiglas and a syrenge and check for sure in the next day or two.  I'll also post the compression height.

I know with the CC of the dish and the comp height, I figured them at just shy of 7.5 comp, but I didn't have any plexiglas and the CC measurement was only "close".
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:03pm
No plexiglass and allowing for surface tension,my sp48 M&W's held 83cc.The new sp48 sold by Hershal Adams held 90cc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic