This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this good, or just normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this good, or just normal?
    Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 9:51pm
My latest aquisition is a one-ninety XT diesel, that I bought this summer for a baling tractor, and am now using it on the feeder wagon. It's my first experience with the 301 engine, and so far has been nothing but good. Any way, its got a lower radiator hose engine heater on it for cold morning starting, which quit working sometime during the night Saturday. Sunday morning at O degrees F, sitting outside, it started up just by using the manifold heater. I didn't think it could be, figured maybe the heater had just died not too long prior to me starting it. But then again this morning at 0 again, and this time not plugged in at all, it started again. Do all 301's start this good? I know that the 8050 I used to have would not do that even on ether, which brings up another question; Why did they go away from manifold heaters in favor of ether injection systems for cold starts? I have a new heater coming in for it tomorrow, because I don't like starting it cold like that  without being plugged in, but I was impressed with it. Any thoughts? Darrel (now that I've talked it up, it'll probably crap out on me)
Sponsored Links

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 10:06pm
Darrel

Not that is not normal for that tractor to start with out a block heater in 0 degree temps.  Although I must admit our XT has nearly 9000 hours on the original engine and it still starts decent in 50 degree temps with the heater.  I would guess your tractor has M&W pistons in it and maybe has had some head work done to it.

I hope it doesnt crap out on you!  Of course from my own experience, once you talk about it something goes wrong! lol

Jim
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 10:07pm
Id say thats pretty good, I have a 200 that will start at 35 but lower and it needs to be plugged in or given a snort of ether. My 7060 will start at 0 with out ether or plugged in.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 10:44pm

Gee I thought mine was good because it starts without anything down to 35 or so....and the heater is good for maybe 20...below that  it gets a sniff of "rod bender in a can"

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 11:37pm
There were 2 problems with the intake manifold heaters.  A lot of users wouldn't wait the 30-60 seconds for them to really do a good job.  Than there were users that would try and use both the heaters and a squirt of ether into the air cleaner.  That could blow the intake manifold off.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 6:24am
the other downfall to the heaters is that they use up so much battery power, then you now have less battery for cranking, which demands are the highest when cold. JMHO.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Steve Bright View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 7:49am
I used a 190 for years to grind feed in the winter here in Indiana, Always started with out the block heater, We have just bought two 190 XT's this summer to use in Hay next summer, told the boys last weekend how well they start in the winter without block heater.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic