This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C starting problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C starting problems
    Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 5:40pm
 Been trying to help my grandfather get his C to start with the starter on a reliable basis.  The tractor will turn over only partially then that's  it.  The battery is  9 months old the starter was rebuilt last week (found bent armature, shorted feilds, and bad switch), and it has new cables.  Still after all this it still turns over only a little bit not even a complete engine revolution.  If you crank it enough it will start so the motor  is not set up.  He had played with the mag this summer.   Any help is apperciated as he is 95 and crank starting to plow snow.
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 5:48pm

Even if playing with the mag it got out of time it should still turn over and sputter you would think? When hand cranking how does it act? Could check your battery cable connections for good contact.

Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 6:47pm
What size are your battery cables.  I'll bet way too small.  They should be 0 or 00 for a 6 volt system.  The standard size (2) is not large enough for 6 volt.  I prefer to use the ground strap instead of a cable also.  Lastly, check that the nose cone of the starter is making good electrical contact with the housing, since that is how it grounds.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:31am
I also fought a WC with similiar but not quite as bad a problem. The starter ring gear was bad so I either hand cranked it or let it set for years. When I pulled enginge to change ring gear, I found of course a bad ring gear but also that it was not seated fully down on the flywheel. Replacing ring gear and seating it fully on the lip of the flywheel corrected the problem.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:44am
Timing being way off will cause that also.
I also had one do that with the plug wires on the wrong plugs.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 6:55am
I would guess it is the battery cables or the starter ground. If the cables are heavy enough, make sure the connections are clean and tight with no paint between the ground strap and the tractor. Also check the starter ground as Jim says, and remove any paint from the nose and the clutch housing where they connect.
 If it was a timing issue it wouldn't be starting with the crank.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:19pm
First thing I would do is load test the Battery after a slow overnight charge. Just cause' its only 9 months old to you, doesn't mean it didn't sit on the shelf for a year or more and start to sulfate to where you are not getting full power. Always start at your power source first. Once you established that your power source is reliable, then move on with your troubleshooting to other area's....
Steve@B&B 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic