This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two stage Vs single stage air compressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two stage Vs single stage air compressor
    Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 8:37pm
I'm going to get a 60 gal  5 hp compressor.  What's the pros & cons on each
It's going to be a big up grade from my little craftsman 1 hp. I have a sand blast cabinet and getting a 20 lb bin  pressurized sand blaster.  Thanks BILL P 
Sponsored Links

Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 10:00pm
Hello Bill!!    5Hp is good  2 stage good 175psi, needed, look for cfms, needed.  The blast cabinet will work ok, and a small nozzle on the POT should work for small jobs.   Don't even consider a single stage compressor.  220volts is also good.  This investment should last you forever.   Don't be cheap.    Allen
BILLP-SE-MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 10:11pm
Thanks Allen, I was looking at the Ingersoll Rand compressors.
 Have a good one. Bill P
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 10:54pm

I agree you want a two stage unit. I looked around pretty good when I bought mine. I looked at Ingersoll Rand, but ended up with a Capmbell Hausfeld from Lowes. It was slightly cheaper, but the real thing is that it did more CFM's. When blasting CFM's is everything. With a small nozzle I can go without stopping. 

Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 6:12am
I bought a 7hp Classic from Orschelin's Farm Stores back in or around 1990. I have had to replace the pop off valve a couple of times, just because it started leaking, but has been a good compressor and I have used it hard.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 8:42am
Bill, don't forget to drain the water out of the tank frequently. Comes from condensation. Seems like tank corrosion can do one in as quick as compressor problems. This is not from experince, but from "remembering" other comments with my shakey memory. Bob@allisdowneast
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 10:02am
always go with a two stage
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 11:38am
Two Stage.
Get one with cast iron pump.
I have a Curtis Toledo 2 stage with a 120 gallon tank.  I have a ball valve on the outlet. 
The unit came with a petcock drain in the bottom.  I replaced it with a street L and a pipe which was long enough to attach a ball valve for a drain. This way I do not have to reach under the tank to drain it.  I drain the condensation daily.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 4:18pm
Single or 2 stage is not a big thing in my book but the motor is , a 5 HP motor with a 5/8" shaft just isn't a 5 HP.
 Watch the motor for amp draw and not just rated HP but actual HP. 5 HP motor needs 220 V at 30+ amps start / 25 amp run (5 amp per HP at 220V)
 2 stage is great if you are using high pressure or large volumes of air on continous basis, but the cooling between the stages is important also. On the drain for tank it is very important , they do make a auto drain you can install, a small float in canister that dumps or a pilot unit that works from unloader on compressor.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 6:04pm
Buy one good BIG one,one time and be done.True 5hp cast iron 2-stage @175psi 80gal tank.You'll never regret it.Somewhere in the $1500 range but money well spent.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 6:45pm
 Bill, here is a compressor Made in Michigan, rather than  Who knows Where.   

firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 11:05pm
Coke has it right, a true 5hp motor will be labeled in the 23-25 continuous amp range. 

Also motor speed and compressor size have a significant factor in noise generated. 

A 1750rpm motor driven compressor will be quieter than a 3250 motor driven compressor.  Also the slower the pump turns the quieter it will be.  Most cheaper units spin the compressor over 1000 rpm.  They take a smaller compressor section and spin it faster to pump the same cfm due to the cheaper manufacture cost.  Also many of the big box store compressors not only rate hp incorrectly, but also rate cfms incorrectly.  A lot rate cfm by theoretically by pump displacement.  No pump is 100 percent effeicent and the cfm rating drops off as pressure builds to a point.  Some cheap compressors are rated at 21-22cfm when top tier compressors will be rated correctly at 17cfm and will outperform the 22cfm one.  The tag should say(rated 17cfm @175psi) or something similar. 

Ingersoll rand used to be a quality product, but the pumps now are smaller and spun faster to make the unit cheaper.  A 5hp IR pump now is the same size as an older 3hp pump, just spun much faster.  As a result I have seen some pumps fail due to high wear of the faster/higher loading of a smaller pump. 

Quincy isn't quite as severe, they spin a 850, which really helps, but again, in the last few years they have cheapened their pumps up, done away with the pressure lube and such.  Now selling a "slightly" inferior product under a previously top tier name, but is still better than 90 percent of them out there. 

Curtis, champion, and saylor beall make excellent compressors. 

I personally bought a eaton 5hp 17cfm 2 stage compressor, mostly American made, compressor section is foreign sourced, but the other components are made/assembled in ohio.  It turns a slow 650rpms and is very quiet.  Can carry on a conversation very well on the cell phone standing right next to it, cant think standing next to my fathers IR of the same size.  It wasn't that much different in price compared to the IR either.  I picked it up at the factory and they loaded me quick and the owner/worker or two took several min to get to know me and a friend that was with me, very nice people. 

Edited by firebrick43 - 25 Nov 2010 at 11:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic