This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surplus Army Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surplus Army Tanks
    Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:26am
Anyone own one?  Got any pics?
I met a family in Magog, Canada that used an old Sherman for farming.
Did Allis make any war vehicles?

Edited by Bee - 13 Nov 2010 at 8:33am
Bob, North Carolina

1949 B
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 8:24am
Bob,
If you ever get up this way you should check out this collection

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
RickM(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickM(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 8:45am
AC built at least two sizes of tracked vehicles for towing heavy artillery. Dad was in artillery in WWII and talked about these. There is a picture of a restored M4 vehicle on back of latest issue of Old Allis News. They also built a tracked vehicle with several recoiless rifles mounted on top for the Marines during Viet Nam. A picture of one of these in "The Allis Chalmers Story" by C. H. Wendell.
Missouri Allis Chalmers Club Member; 1954 WD45 (NF), 611LTD & 811GT Lawn Tractors
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 11:08am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Craig/insoh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:39am
For those of you that might be interested there are 2 models of the m4 high speed tractor as plastic model kits in 1/35 scale 1 for transporting a 90 mm gun, and 1 for transporting 155mm/and or 8" howitzers available from hobby boss mfg.

Also the m50a1 ontos in 1/35 scale is now available from academy plastic model co.

All models are currently on ebay!

I currently have the m4 versions to put together then I will be putting together an "ONTOS".
CRAIG
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 11:06am
Just looked on ebay there is a NOS carb,fuel pump, pair of gears, and starter for g150 waukesha engine for a "M4 HIGH SPEED TRACTOR"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 11:53am
Correction for above post g150 is military equipment category!
m4 had 145gz Wakesha 6 cylinder gas engine 210hp. weight 31,500lb

AC also made M6 hst with 2 145gz engines 190hp each. weight 38 ton
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 1:12pm
My Grandpa as well as several other local farmers bought surplus tanks after WWII and used them to farm with. These were the M22 Locust Airbourne Tanks. They had a Lycoming 6 cylinder, radial, air-cooled aircraft engine. Grandpa, my Dad and his brothers installed an additional transmission to gear it down some. I have an old photo somewhere of theirs. Twenty  years ago I found and bought one still sitting in a barnyard 18 miles from me. I sold  it some years later to a man in KY who took the inop Lycoming out and installed a Buick V6. My understanding was that a scrap company in Findlay, OH bought the tanks from the Lima Tank Plant in  Lima, OH after the war, demilled them to include turret removal and then were able to resell them. Grandpa ended up selling his after some time and bought a Cletrac.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:49pm
we built a BUNCH of HD 16s in the Springfield Illinois plant in the late 60s and shipped them to Viet Nam.  I think they said 3-4 per day off the line.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:42pm
I was riding around the backroads of CT with my late FIL back in the late 60s and we spotted a fairly small tank with the barrel cut off being used to skid logs. No one was around but we stopped and looked her over. Had two flathead Caddy engines in it. My FIL was real great about taking pics (he had a nice 35MM) but wouldn't you know it; he didn't have his camera with him that day. I recognized the engines right away as my Dad had parted out a '46 Caddy to use the engine on his sawmill.
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 8:08pm
My grandfather bought a M22 brand new off of the Lima tank plant after World War Two.  He used it to farm with, but quit using it cause he said it took too much gas.  I know theres a house in a local town that he moved into town with the tank.  The story gos that people lined the road to watch the tank pull the house.  When my grandpa and his brother, who was riding with him, got to the bridge right before the town my grandpa looked at his brother and asked him "You measured it, right?" and my grandpas brother said "no, I though you did."  The house just fit across the bridge by about an inch on each side.  Some time later the tank was sold to a salvage yard to be used to crush cars.  If anyone knows of one I sure would like to look at one.  I have some pictures around, I can try to get them online if anyone is interested.
 Joe
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:37pm
Very interesting thread. I love learning new stuff!
pineyjd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pineyjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:01am
When I lived in Vernon Calif in 62, a demo company used a tank to demolish house's,they woul drive right thru the small ranch houses
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 10:50am
cousins finance' father owns an M113, military hummer, 5 ton along with a M2 and M1918.  Sure hope the wedding is down there in MO by his house so I can actually get a look at his goodies, at least the m113.  I have already spent to much time around the other things in my all expense paid free vacation to Kuwait/Iraq in 2003
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 2:00pm
In the late 60's early 70's the local phone company switched to underground cable.The company that installed it used M4 and M5 Allis Chalmers high speed tractors to pull the cable plow.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 2:18pm
I spent some time in a 113, kind of fun to cruse the training area with.  I believe it had a 318 or 383 Chrysler in it.  Newer ones had DD.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 2:18pm
1942 War Department Manual TM 9-782 describes a B allis as  "Tractor, Light, Wheeled Industrial Type". Definitly not a IB.
Manual can be downloaded on the internet.
A friend of mine in Austin Texas is in the process of cloneing one to pull his restored bomb wagon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic