This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HVLP Spray gun tip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HVLP Spray gun tip
    Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 10:26pm
Hi,

Looking at a spray gun to paint AC's.  I have the option for the tip of .6mm; .8 mm; 1.0 mm; 1.2 mm; or 1.4 mm

What is your recommendation?  Skill level = 1/4 step above beginner
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links

bluebanshee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebanshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:57pm
At least the 1.4mm. What types of paint would you be spraying? Oil base and heavy primer won't spray well (or at all) through a 1.4 or smaller. I think thats the tip I use in my clear gun and its near max on the fluid needle. 1.6  or even 1.8 would be ideal for heavier paints. 1mm and smaller would be a small touch-up gun.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:34am
Hi Bluebanshee,

Was looking at Dupont Automotive paints.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:50am
All of those tips sizes are small for the materials I use but I am only 1/3 step over beginner. I suggest that you decide which material you ar going to use and go with the "P" sheet recomendations from the Mfg. If your tip size is off a small amount you can adjust the reduction a small amount and the paint will go down nice, I do this all the time but you do not want to vary a lot from the P sheet especialy while learning. Like a lot of other things painting often gets beat to death on forums like this because everyone, including me has their own little favorite tips and techniques and it will end up confusing the issue for the newbie.  Luckily we have available to us what are called "P" sheets, the directions for correct application from each manufacturer (at least the quality ones) The P sheets from PPG Ditzler (just happens to be what I use) are very easy to digest. My recomendation is despite all the tips you will read and hear about is that you purchase ALL of your material from the same supplier then mix and apply the materials as recomended on the "P" sheet and use them at the reccomended temp in the recomended equipment. You will then have a very nice looking paint job to show off.  Nothing will cost you more time and money than having to do it twice which can easily happen when guessing or when trying  things outside of P sheet recomendations, been there, done that also.  Good luck.
bluebanshee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebanshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 9:37am
1.4 would be fine for base/clear but would be slightly small for single stage paint.

What would your budget be? For $149 shipped you can get a Devilbiss Finishline 3 HVLP gun with 3 tips. That would spray anything you want. It may say 23 psi inlet pressure but they usually don't spray that well at that. I think its partly to make for environmental reasons, at 23 psi it has a lot less overspray but it won't lay the paint down nice.

For oilbase and stains I still use a siphon feed cheapo "Stan" gun. It sprays fine and I could probably paint a car with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic