This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off topic - Michigan getaway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off topic - Michigan getaway
    Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 1:19pm

My wife & I want to get away for a week in northern Michigan in the coming days.  We are thinking about renting a cabin, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, & dining.  Is there a best lake-effect-snow area or good place that anyone would recommend?  Thanks.

Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 1:23pm
You will have a problem with the snow sports right now, it is lacking!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 1:25pm
When I live there any place from bag bay (the historic big bay hotel is kinda rustic but nice)on down to Marquette or Munising was quite good.  The Baraga area gets alot of snow from lake affect .
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 1:39pm
Miss understood the topic.

Thought you wanted to get away from Michigan. I am just south of Michigan in Ohio and I want to get away from Michigan and Ohio. It was 24 degrees here this morning when I did chores. Ice on all four water tubs for the horses. This weeked I will have to get out the electric heated waterers and get them hooked up. Rather load them up and head South far enough to where water don't freeze all winter long. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 2:50pm
Dick, your number 1 problem is the hay burners. Load yourself up and leave dem hauses :¬)
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

The Baraga area gets alot of snow from lake affect .

The Baraga area gets much less snow than many other areas of the UP (Many in this area call it the Banana Belt because it is generally warmer and drier). If you want plenty of snow and some beautiful views go UP into the Keweenaw peninsula or come over to the Porcupine Mountains....
Clay in MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:35pm
The Houghton / Calumet / Copper Harbor area is the best winter sports area East of the Rockies (OK, I'm a little biased as I live here).   Ironwood / Bessemer / Wakefield / Porcupine Mountains on the West end is nice too.  Munising / Grand Marais has good snow but not as scenic ( lived there awhile).  Any of these areas usually have good snow from Thanksgiving to almost Easter.   If you get  more than maybe 30 miles south of Lake Superior the snow levels drop considerably.
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:04pm
Depends on time of winter you coming up. Late December or January/February best...
 Grand Traverse Area and Leelanau Peninsula for snowmobiling, fine eating and easy access.
 http://www.visittraversecity.com/winter-activities-47/

Have Fun!

Life is short...Make haste to be kind
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Clay in MI Clay in MI wrote:

(OK, I'm a little biased as I live here).

Where abouts do ya live? I live in Ontonagon and work over in Baraga.
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 7:21am

Thank you all for your information.  I knew I could count on the Allis-Chalmers site for good inputs!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic