This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

50 B Front end wear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 B Front end wear
    Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:50am
I removed the front end from my 50 B last night and found lots of rust and wear around the bolt securing the front end to the tractor. As you can see from the pictures I clean the area around the bolt (it was packed full of rust and dirt). I noticed one small piece of metal that resembled some type of bushing that was maybe around the bolt at some point but I am not exactly sure. What are my options for repairing the warn parts/area (besides replacing the warn bolt)? What was originally contained within the cavity surrounding the bolt?
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:36am
They should have a bushing in there that acts as the wear point. You will need to replace your bushing and bolt
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 11:41am
If it were mine I would weld a piece of pipe in square on center and then fit a bushing inside the pipe. that would beef up the center of the axle.

Edited by Dick L - 03 Nov 2010 at 8:11pm
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:48am
I'm with Dick L on this one. Some of the original AC designs can stand a bit of re-engineering.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:12am
I usually bore out the hole thru the axle and rebush it with a snug fit bushing (in the axle and for the new bolt) then install a new bolt.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
case580 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:23am

do you recall the size of the hole after you have bored it out? I measured the existing hole in my axle and its 1.25", judging from my pictures I have a little more room to expand the hole if I knew what size bushing to size the hole for. Pass along any dimensions if you have any available.

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 12:48pm
Unless you custom make the bushings you will have little choice in bushing OD. Start with a bushing that will match your bolt size and then fit whatever you decide to fill the hole back to the bushing OD (outside diameter)  Your hole looks to me in the pictures to be larger than any standard bushing that would fit the bolt. That is why I would start with a bushing and then a thick wall pipe that the bushing would press into and then bore the axle for a press fit of the heavy wall pipe before welding in the pipe. It would make the axle stronger at the pivit point and keep from having uneven weld around the bushing. If the hole was not worn as much as it is I might just bore it for a bushing alone.
I broke the axle in the center of my 9523/5020 and built an all new one by welding on the old spindles. I bored the center and welded in a heavy wall pipe bored for a bushing.
I used thicker steel square tubing than what was on the tractor as well.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:25pm
I made a straight axle for my hot rod B project, and Chad (WI)'s Dad Gus made a great bushing from steel for me that stuck out slightly on each side of the 2"x3" rectangular tubing, and was welded into place. It will outlast me.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic