This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

615 backhoe loader weight???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hzl6cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 615 backhoe loader weight???
    Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:58am
I am looking at buying a 615 backhoe / loader and am trying to figure out how much it weighs so I can get the right capacity trailer to haul it.  I've done several searches and can't seem to find it.  Any help would be appreciated!

Right now the price on it is down to $4,000, I don't know if I can get it lower.  The unit is a little rough cosmetically (surface rust, very worn tires, minor hydrualic leaks), but runs well.  The controls all seem to work fine and the engine (gas) runs fine without smoking.  The bushings are worn on the backhoe but it seems to function fine.  I am looking at it just for occasional use around our place.  How does that price sound?  My first task with it would be to move the 70 tons of shot rock, I had dumped yesterday, and dump it underneath and around the bridge we have on our driveway before the bridge washes away.  My other option is to rent a large JD skid loader at $300/day to do the work.  I have a Ford 961 tractor with a loader but it does not dig in to shot rock well (no traction).  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:30am
think it waighs around 11.500 lbs. If everthing works it is a deal at $4k. Think most have leaks if not restored. The 615 was one of my favorite tractors. Just the right size to do most things around home or farm.
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 1:50pm

when you look at it check the 4 bolts that hold the axles to the differantal. on each side they like to break. if not fixed it will cause  a lot of damage.

Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
hzl6cm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hzl6cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the info!
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:54pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:00pm
uploads/556/DSCN1257.JPG

Here is our restored 615.
hzl6cm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hzl6cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:34pm
Looks good.  Here is what I am looking at: uploads/3856/backhoe.jpg
TomSEOH View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomSEOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:06pm
While it may be a an alright price, i would rent the skid steer.  Why ? you ask , you can easily move 70 tons in 2 or maybe even 1 day with a large skidsteer. No risk of breakdowns or problems that may be encountered with an older machine such as the 615. If you really have use for it, offer the the cost of rental less than the 4000. In todays world there are deals everyday if you have the time and patience to wait.  JMO. Tom
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:03pm
I think it looks decent for $4000 but I'd probably rent another machine to get the rock work on out of the way. Leaves more time to get the 615 ready for the next job that will arise and lessens the chances of being almost finished when something breaks down.
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:03am
It will be slow going with a 615. The hydrstatic drive on a skid loader will make the job a lot easier. The 615 has a clutch style shuttle and a big shuttle leaver take some getting use to. And doing that much short running will make for long days. It is still a deal to buy

Edited by Dave A - 03 Nov 2010 at 8:03am
Winston Churchill
hzl6cm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hzl6cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 3:19pm
Thanks everybody - good advice!  I was thinking along the same lines and wondering how it would be moving the rock with the 615 and doing a lot of shifting while going back and forth.  It will be slow going anyway since I will need to pull up the bridge decking 3 boards at a time (rough 3x12s 12-feet long) to dump the rock under the bridge where I need it - to unbolt each one I need to lie on the bridge deck and reach underneath each end of each plank and unbolt it - not something I am looking forward to!  I've got the skid loader reserved for the weekend after next, I pick it up at noon on Saturday and have to return it by 8:00 am on Monday, so I will be hustling!  If I get the 615 I'm not quite so time constrained, but I was thinking that it was a lot of work for an old machine.  The hoe would be nice though for distributing the rock on the downstream side of the bridge since I can only dump it close to the bank with the skid loader.

I thought about renting the 14,000 lb trailer this Saturday and going down to look at the 615 again and just bring $3,500 cash with me and offer the guy that (or maybe start off with a little less).  Trailer rental is only $65 so that isn't too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic