This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190xt front spindle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PawPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190xt front spindle
    Posted: 24 May 2024 at 1:30am
My neighbor broke the spindle on his 190xt and asked if I knew how to replace one. I’ve never done one and figured this would be the place to ask for advice. Thanks for any help you can give
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:45am
Just know the steering arm has to be removed and key dug out before spindle can slide out.
PawPaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PawPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:46am
Thank you Steve I’ll pass that on to him.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:51am
Remove snap ring, remove steering arm, remove key and spindle assy. should come out the bottom.
Hopefully no one welded the snap ring on top of the spindle or else some grinding will be required to remove.

D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 2:36pm
The point made earlier about the woodruff key is vital. You will have to get the steering arm off the spindle then remove the key and then it will through the bore. The best recommendation I have heard is to raise the front end pull the axle beam,turn it upside down. Then sledge hammer the steering arm off the spindle. Might heat it a bit as you hammer. I didn't do that and wish I had tried. I was advised to cut a slit in the arm to relieve the grip when I did mine 35 or so years ago.  It is a tight interference fit when you have new parts and it holds well as designed. We welded our steering arm back to the spindle after slitting it. Been OK so far and do keep it lubed.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 3:25pm
Seen alot of them welded on too- not Allis factory weld either
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:00pm
flipping it over and pounding off is what I did on one 8070. Not a pleasant task but it worked . Seemed all wrong. Pounded back on  and still tight after 10yrs. Must have something to protect arm from hammer when reinstalling.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 11:05pm
can you drive a pickle fork between the arm and axle housing ??  or no room ?  Heat ?

flipping it sounds like a lot of work... I like the SPLIT IT with a die grinder idea..

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 May 2024 at 11:09pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PawPaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PawPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 5:27am
I talked to the neighbor last night and he has it changed. The broken one had been welded at some time. The broken one came out fairly easy and he is back up and going. Thanks again for the advice
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 7:59am
I really hate seeing weld on spindles. Seems to be popular in the Red camp also. Had to change a thrust bearing in  my 1066  once. Steering arm welded to spindle, broken all the way around mind you. Still wound up grinding on it for about an hour with a carbide burr to get it apart.

Another thing, pretty sure those spindles aren't just 1010 steel! My guess would be 1045, could be higher alloy than that even. Just because you can strike an arc on something doesn't mean you should!

I've got some sort of an issue with a steering arm/key/spindle on my 185. Toe in won't stay put. Not the tie rods either. It's nice to have plenty of tractors to fill in when one is sick!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 8:03am
Why did the put such big tires on the front ? Turning puts so much stress on stuff-  It kills me to see the front higher than the back , dont make sence

Edited by DougG - 25 May 2024 at 8:04am
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 8:35am
Will have to look ...might have a used one here  from a broken axle...are left and rights the same...Mark
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 8:50am
Walked out and looked....have the axle assembly but no spindles...oh well
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 8:52am
I walked out and looked...have the front axle assembly..but no spindles..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic