This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Return to Employed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Employed
    Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 3:09pm
Got a little rattled the other day, had gotten approved to use a Company truck to haul some rock for our Farm Drive long ago but called to verify was still OK for that, was told come on down, First week of April.  Picked up Truck, hauled and spread four loads [MAN am I rusty on Spreading], total of 78ton.  

Well that was ALL good, will be billed for that as to Rock price and some fuel used but is a perk for having been Employee.  Then, Last Monday out of the Blue, my old boss called, hemmed and hawed a bit but then asked if I felt up to working some Part Time catch up and overload work, took me a moment, said 'Yes'.  Employees are hard to achieve these days, Good ones or ones that will follow directions/Directives harder still.  So on Wed, worked a solid 8 hours, Th another batch and then Fr started Earlier so could get a Jump on needs worked ten+.
Shoulders still Unhappy but know what NOT to DO to them to keep out of Angry state, hauled some sand, and loads of Clay, mainly within 30 miles so not severe for time in seat.  Wife is a tad happier I am not home ALL Day EVERY Day, she has calmed since that last Row.  Will be some extra money for bills but about all yet quite welcome these days.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 3:32pm
so have you paid off the 'borrowing' of the truck yet ??Wink
Seems to me ALL your materials should be FREE,really WHO else can 'they' get at a moments notice to drive truck ?

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 5:35pm
I haven’t drove my wife crazy enough yet, LOL.
Whenever she starts mumble grumbling about me ‘doing things’, I just loving fire back ‘you wanted me home babycakes’ and give her a tap on the ass.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

so have you paid off the 'borrowing' of the truck yet ??Wink
Seems to me ALL your materials should be FREE,really WHO else can 'they' get at a moments notice to drive truck ?

Dare say I do believe he was worried I would take it as that!!
He has been having issues with drivers especially the Trash Truck operation where either the contact disappears when hears mandatory drug screen or random testing, or the ‘supposed’ long term operator can barely drive the trucks.

I do not really mind, just had some relatively significant issues with repetitive motion injuries last two years, do not want more doctor time if is avoidable.

And Wifeepoo, is quite happy I am at sometging that pays instead of costs!!
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 9:19pm
I hope you don’t overdo it. They may ride you into the ground if you let them.

I’ve enjoyed watching your projects. You are very talented. Please don’t overdo and just do what makes you happy.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 10:32pm
You need an auto shift and just steer.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 12:21am
Just take care and REMEMBER,,,,,,,,,,you are NOT young anymore.  It happens to most of us.....lucky ones.  If we'd only known....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 4:32am
Paying seriously close attention. First three days were defined as painstaking as felt out how I generally operate a machine, steering by far even as Power Steer just wheeling a turn or tight maneuver was angering left shoulder so have made adjustments. Expectations of myself by the company are short term as discussed by the owner and his father the previous owner steering his son as he takes the reins. Will be as a new hire is generally done to feel out capabilities yet knowing mine they felt it a good position for a easier day yet a positive for the company. A Loader loads the machine, i no longer have to swap out and manipulate that, I am allowed to work until consider my own fatigue at point to stop. This should stop as the clay loading of barges closes and I resume home duty until next round of tubs to fill. So far they have loaded five of thirty for the year.

Will be building stockpiles between times until sufficient to stop. May be asked to deliver small delivery spot loads of sand or rock but strictly local area, again in the under 30 mile figure.

Edited by DMiller - 14 Apr 2024 at 4:40am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 11:26am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

You need an auto shift and just steer.

Those are the worst, you want to stay active/alert and limber? An auto shift/automatic is the worst thing for you.
A total scurge on the industry
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 9:38pm
I've never been in one but a lot of guys I work around have them now. I seem to rake teeth more  as I age. FRO series 10 speeds are great trans but they require about 2 tenths of a second more  wait between gears. Drove 13's for 35yrs.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 5:33am
The dump trucks at the yard are all 8LLs, simple and wide spread between gears, just at 450rpm.
Do not have much of an issue save for starting out with a different machine as all shift differently regardless similarities.
I am off for wet weather as of this morning, clay pit and the stockpile platforms do not handle wet very well!! Clay is clay.
Most times will run a 2010 Freightliner single drop axle DD13 short wb with tub body, it goes down or needed on tear out excavations have previous owners 2004 Freightliner Mercedes Engine, early version Quad Suspension with a 20yd that needs a floor it will not ever get. Sand crushed rock and some clay only due to that thinning floor but is good for spread deliveries.
Last up if either are available is on of two 2022 Western Star quads X15 Cummins also 8LLs 24 yd Bibeau beds.
Legal loads due to axle limitations for bridge weight is 19.5 ton on newest quads, 18.5 on the tri axle and 19 on the older unit. Typical for local runs is 20-22 on newest, 20 on tri axle and oldest truck.

May all be a moot point as to barge loading over the next few weeks. Have enough mined clay to load two perhaps three stockpiled. Mining has moved to a new source pit yet have not gotten overburden stripped away yet enough to see the prize or to get larger sample volumes. They just shut down the old pit two years ago where started another but it played out in months, this one is untested beyond a few bore drillings. Could be just Done.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Apr 2024 at 5:35am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 4:29am
Was busting it yesterday when made the turn for a final load at the pit, was a small group of sign holding protesters at the pit entrance started to walk into roadway. Single county cop yelled at them and they stepped back to ditch as I was NOT stopping. Came out after loaded they were gone, were in a old school bus with Save The Planet scribbled on its side. The Deputy was still there so stopped and asked what was all about. Seems a local contingent Wanna Be Hippie group wants the clay mine shut down as ‘has scarred the planet’ so were trying to stop the trucks and got called by local farmers before the morons got hurt.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 5:58am
I used to  dread the thought of getting older, however now as I look at where this country is headed, i'm glad I won't be here to see it someday.   I only feel bad for my kids and grandkids as to what they will have to endure.  

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 6:49am
Amen to that Greg.
At least my grandaughter has a good head on her, a job,  money in the bank(she's 21).
She'll also get my 1/2 of the house when I'm 6 feet under. Kinda like to be around for the reading of my will....many will be surprised and others 'upset'.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 8:14am
No kids here Jay, or Greg!!!  Have a will and a Trust of sorts as those are about worthless now that politics has found a way in them. 

Our nephew, Older Brother's Son, is Executor, should he pass first drops to younger brother's son, wife was rather upset of that but explained Blood is First and how eldest is the general consensus obligated.  
She has her financials and is the first to inherit by Marriage but having no children and only one Male on her family side in GA the closer relative in a Closer home area is a best choice.  And Yes, will be some serious whining when read out, as checks made out, I will not care as will not be there.  The ones that essentially decided they wanted nothing to do with us get ZIP, $5 Each, the Most goes to Older Brother's son, and the two surviving Children on my side of My Things.  Wife's Nieces and Nephew get Her things and our Home furnishings should they want them, That is ALL.  

Wife had delusions of Grand Niece being young enough would be able to take care of her needs in old age, Britt already voiced out loud that "NO", so she gets SQUAT, even from wife.
As we have no children, we have made decisions to as I get more infirm and immobile will check into Assisted Care Center somewhere, the neat component is the day we move in the House and property we still have will have been deeded off to the Oldest Son for at least two years, Assisted Center will NOT be able to get mitts on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic