This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snakes
    Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 4:36pm
Saw 3 today from the seat of my D 15. Only one hung around for a picture. Favorite son should post the pic soon if anyone is interested. Thanks
Sponsored Links

WeisAC2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeisAC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 5:09pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 5:36pm
I don't mind snakes as long as they keep their distance. What kind is it? Normal to see them out like that?
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 5:47pm
Son thinks it's a copperhead. Pretty normal to see a few snakes at our place about this time of year. Two other ones were black snakes.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 5:52pm
Have only seen garter and bull snakes near me. Iowa has timber rattlers and are protected. Never seen one and won't mind if I never do
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:10pm
Yeah that looks like a Copperhead to me too. We have them here too which we're not far from you guys in SC. We usually see rat snakes and king snakes around here. Won't hurt you but they can sure make you hurt yourself.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:29pm
Yeah, we see a few timber rattlers too . Should add they have no protection around here, but we don't always kill them.

Edited by ACinSC - 10 Apr 2024 at 7:16pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 8:14pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 9:26pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 4:39am
Can't help but like America's storyteller...  That reminds me of a dead snake I saw on the internet, some time ago...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 5:55am
This picture of garter snakes was taken in my lawn a few years ago. I believe the result was more snakes...

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 6:49am
Few years back I was discing a road/firebreak. Got off the tractor. When I stepped down felt something hit my leg. I'd stepped down on a green snake 🐍 and he didn't like it. Glad it wasn't a rattlesnake.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 7:00am
We were in the red rock area (Sedona) of Arizona a few years ago. Being uninformed (dumb) tourists we wandered out on some of the walking trails to explore.

Whan we were telling some locals about it, they asked if we had a snake bite kit. They said there are a lot of rattle snakes in those areas.

It was on that trip that I learned that one of the reasons cowboys were cowboy boots is to protect them from snake bites.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:05am
Knew a guy that got hit by a rattlesnake. Snake didn't hurt him as he was wearing snake boots, but he twisted his ankle so bad he was laid up for a while.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:15am
We only get little brown wood snakes, garters, corn snakes, rat snakes, water snakes and a couple of racer species around here. Nothing venomous. Expert mousers. Nothing makes me smile like seeing a blue racers head sticking up out ofnthe grass with a mouse hanging out of it's mouth.

We have a rattler, the Eastern massasauga, but sightings are extremely rare, I have only ever seen one and it was a yearling, and I used to look for snakes as a kid because I've always thought they were cool.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:18am
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Son thinks it's a copperhead. Pretty normal to see a few snakes at our place about this time of year. Two other ones were black snakes.

Edit. Had to go look up copper heads. We don't get them around here. That is indeed a copperhead.

Edited by AC WD45 - 11 Apr 2024 at 8:21am
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:52am
That's a copperhead and a pretty large one. With the weather getting warmer they are moving about and they are hard to spot in the brown leaves left over from the winter. We have plenty in our area also.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

That's a copperhead and a pretty large one. With the weather getting warmer they are moving about and they are hard to spot in the brown leaves left over from the winter. We have plenty in our area also.

Yes definitely a copperhead. They’re a bit cranky when they first came me out for the spring.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 7:38pm
Had a pair of Copperheads tucked up under my rear tractor tire last year.  Fortunately saw them before I stepped forward to get up on the tractor.  They tend to have a short life expectancy after I see them, especially if anywhere near the house.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 9:33am
The young copperhead will have a green tip on their tail. The venom of the young copperhead is more potent than the older copperhead.

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

The young copperhead will have a green tip on their tail. The venom of the young copperhead is more potent than the older copperhead.

I have some ammo with green tips. It’s deadly too.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 3:02pm
Im with Thad and Scott ..... shoot first ( or rake / hoe/ stick) and ask questions LATER !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 1:06am
Yep, definitely a copper head and YES, extremely rare up around this/our area.  Wonder where he came from??
Yes, YOUNG snakes have a more potent venom than older snakes, but who cares??
I used to trap/collect rattlers eons ago when we could get (back in the 50s and 60s) $$$ from the county ag dept for the rattles off of em.  They thought that you had to kill the snake to get the rattles, but noppppe.......cut em off, collect the $$$ and they''d grow back and you could do it again.  Was a pretty lucrative business back in the day...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic