This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Oliver owners on here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Oliver owners on here
    Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 4:32pm
I know this is a long shot but I have a Oliver 1755 diesel 74 model so it's one of the last ones built with a shifter fork problem and I'm looking to trade for a D-17 Series IV, 170 OR 175, if this isn't possible don't bash me and I'll remove it  but some of you guys that still use these on the farm would be a good workhorse, it's too big for me and I'm not able to do this kind of work anymore. It's located in Jonesboro, Arkansas, thanks again.
Sponsored Links

CDN 400 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDN 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 4:38pm
Do you know for sure its a shifter fork problem? Only reason I ask is I bought a 2255 a short while ago that you could only find 2 gears and it turned out to be very simple 5 minute fix.
BV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 4:48pm
I'm thinking it is, when I pulled the gear shifter out you can see the fork is loose, it's the one that shifts the transmission from high range to low range and I can move it around with a long screwdriver. It needs to top of the transmission removed to be 100% sure. I just bought this tractor and was supposed to be field ready but turned out with this problem, it has good rubber and runs good, shows 7100 hours on working tach.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 4:55pm
The Olivers would break shift rails. I stocked them. they come out the front. If I remember correct you have to pull the engine and o/u to replace them.
CDN 400 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDN 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 5:32pm
When you pulled the shifter out was the 2 springs in place?
BV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 6:27pm
Yes they were
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 6:22am
1755 is great tractor,I'd fix it.
BV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:15am
I may have to because there are no Oliver mechanics in my area
CDN 400 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDN 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
The reason I asked about the springs is because mine were missing and the shifter would bottom out and bind up. I went a got a couple springs and she was perfect. I was digging through the tool box on it one day and low and behold there were the original springs buried under junk.
BV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 12:24pm
yes they were there, it's the fork that's loose and I slid it back in place with a screwdriver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic