This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner 18.4-26 either bead to rim tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner 18.4-26 either bead to rim tips
    Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 10:38am
This week, I had my first experience at setting a gleaner drive tire 18.4-26 bead back onto its rim, while tire was mounted on combine, & using 20% ether for a somewhat controlled explosion?  Some rust/dirt had worked itself into/around inner lip of rim's bead. I watched a few youtube videos before I attempted it. I also bought a $100 harbor freight bead breaker to remove tire from rim, which worked very well.  Did both sides of tire. First side broke loose bead, cleaned up rim using angled grinder 4" wire cup. Placed two 6 inch long 2x6 scraps between tire & rim to allow access for wire cup. Used a narrow 1" wire brush to rough up/clean tire bead area. Applied tire bead sealant to both surfaces, and then using a ratch-strap, started that side's tire back onto rim, but did not fully seat it. Then removed wheel(tire/rim) from combine, reversed its mounting, and repeated same procedure on other side. Then used ether to expand tire outward onto rim. Took me a few tries to get it right. Here's what I figured out?
1. Center loose side of tire's gap to rim bead as best as possible. Leave at least a crack(1/8"?) near upper circumference. Any excess gap near bottom.
2. Have air compressor pumped up & air line close by for quick airing after beading.
3. Moderately spray ether from 4oclock to 8oclock around tire's bead seam(about 4-6 seconds continuous spray time?). 
4. Include an "ignition puddle/patch" of either away from tire's bead, towards an outer area of tire sidewall at an upwind side of tire. In my case ~ 8oclock. Wind blowing towards 4oclock. Wind helped blow flames from puddle to bead area & allowed me a few seconds to get back.
5. Use a butane torch to quickly ignite ether at an arms length & step back.
6. After explosion, quickly air up tire.

Anyone else have any tips to add? No, I don't own a cheeta or air blast tank.

Edited by AC7060IL - 04 Apr 2024 at 6:33pm
Sponsored Links

captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 12:08pm
Sounds too scary!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Sounds too scary!

X2
I use a ratchet strap around perimeter of tire. Have doubled them on occasion
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Sounds too scary!

X2

Pound center of tire with big hammer as straps get tighter to aid collapsing and spreading bead. Ether is like an impact wrench. You don't know the force applied. Can compromise tire casing not knowing it. I would at least air up and deflate a few times to rid the tire of ether fumes. Bad things can happen later setting in hot summer sun. I get the "do it yourself" thing because that's me but some things are worth paying the piper for. Glad nothing bad happened....yet?
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 1:06pm
Put your air line on the valve stem with no core in it or better yet thread the small piece out of the rim so it just has just the big diameter piece , put an air line fitting on it then hook your hose to it with a valve in the line, as soon as you light the ether turn the valve on. 
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Sounds too scary!

X2

Pound center of tire with big hammer as straps get tighter to aid collapsing and spreading bead. Ether is like an impact wrench. You don't know the force applied. Can compromise tire casing not knowing it. I would at least air up and deflate a few times to rid the tire of ether fumes. Bad things can happen later setting in hot summer sun. I get the "do it yourself" thing because that's me but some things are worth paying the piper for. Glad nothing bad happened....yet?
Yip, I did everthing you listed plus a few more,,, without success. Believe me, I watched dozens of ether videos before I felt somewhat knowledgeable and then visited with local tire shop about it. Yes, it is & can be dangerous. That’s main reason I posted some tips about it.
Tire is an original 1977 BFGoodrich Power Grip, believed to be installed in the Indepence, MO Gleaner production line. It’s complete with 47 years of weathering, stubble damage, & I couldn’t be happier with it. Probably built better than some new options today, so I figured I’d chance repairing it. Holding air for now~Time will tell though. 2 Ratchet straps, a 2” & 1” wide can do damage too. And trying to increase their tension or worse trying to loosen a piano strung strap is almost as dangerous??
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 6:03pm
You do make a valid point about the straps snapping at you. Are tubes out of the question?
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Amos Amos wrote:

Put your air line on the valve stem with no core in it or better yet thread the small piece out of the rim so it just has just the big diameter piece , put an air line fitting on it then hook your hose to it with a valve in the line, as soon as you light the ether turn the valve on. 
All valid points-agreed. Thought about empty valve stem but didn’t have correct clasp to leave air fitting attached to it. I did everything outside far from any shop. Used a bottle hydraulic jack & good wooden cribbing to stabilize machine under its frame. Used extension cords for portable air compressor & angle grinder wire cup. Rest was all by hand. Worst part was trying to figure how long/much ether to apply & where. Local tire shop helped with advise for that.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 6:08pm

You do make a valid point about the straps snapping at you. Are tubes out of the question?
Thanks. Tubes are plan B. But for now it’s at least mobile with tires up.
Michagman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 6:20pm
I'm surprised they had tubeless tractor tires in the 70's, does anybody know when they first started making them?

Edited by Michagman - 04 Apr 2024 at 6:22pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 6:44pm
Tried this video’s tactic of spraying into 1-2 areas, but had no luck with it. I did benefit from guys bead sealant tactic of wooden blocks to hold open area for working in/around rim/tire bead.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wihjelArZLk&pp=ygUUZXRoZXIgdGlyZSBpbmZsYXRpb24%3D

This video’s tactic worked for me. The guy sprays ether around tire bead instead a few localized spots. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFZa4uuDvc&pp=ygUUZXRoZXIgdGlyZSBpbmZsYXRpb24%3D

Edited by AC7060IL - 04 Apr 2024 at 6:47pm
Roger Mn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 6:58pm
I watched a tire man use ether to seat the beads on a big flotation tubeless tire outside his shop. beads seated and the rest of the tire ended up in the parking lot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic