This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

zeinith vs. marvel carbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zeinith vs. marvel carbs
    Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 11:35am
what are the big differaces the goods the bads ?   maybe just a puller question ?
Sponsored Links

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 12:33pm
Just my opinion and experience. To me the Zenith is more persnickety about getting them fine tuned and set and when you do keep the screwdriver away from them. I like the Marvel Schebler carburetor because to me they are easier to set and I like the cast steel bodies. Again,just my preference.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 5:34pm
Both are good Carburetors. They both mess up though with dirt and debris. To me being I rebuild both quite often for customers. I sorta' like the M/S Carbs a little better mainly because of the larger float bowl area in the small bore and the large bore. Sparky made a good point about the Zeniths being a little finicky when it comes to fine tuning them. Whenever you rebuild either Carburetor, one thing you have to concentrate on is the inlet cavity. A lot of rust, dirt and debris gets lodged in those cavities and over the years the rust starts to break off out of the threads where the elbow screws in and man does that play havoc with the Viton needles. The Viton needles are great for sealing good, but it you get minute pieces of rust dislodging in that inlet cavity, it sticks to that Viton needle like glue! Next thing you know fuel is runnin' out everywhere.  Both Carbs have their little "quirks" but as long as you can get em' super clean inside, make sure the floats aren't swiping against the inside float bowl walls, both Carbs perform quite well.

When it comes to pulling Tractors, personally, I think you can do a lot of improvements on the Marvels as far as smoothing out the intake bore and small changes with the venturi and increase air speed on both the small and large bore units. The small bore Zeniths I think are a little more restrictive to what you can do, but the large bore Zeniths seem to perform quite well with some mods. Like anything else, it's preference. JMHO.
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 7:19pm
I was once told that the M/S carbs were a little more prone to icing up than the Zeniths. But I have no first-hand experience with that, just what I was once told.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 7:41pm
This is just my 50+ years of pulling, however for power, I'd pick a proper sized M/S, for fuel efficiency I'd go with a proper sized Zenith.   If you put the wrong size of either you'll never get good all round power or efficiency whichever you're wanting
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by DanielW DanielW wrote:

I was once told that the M/S carbs were a little more prone to icing up than the Zeniths. But I have no first-hand experience with that, just what I was once told.
Interesting observation Daniel. My carb on WD45 is M/S. It does get totally white on many occasions when temp is just around the freeze point. But I have no experience with zenith so I don't know. Had the tractor out today but did not pay attention to the carb. Will do so next time out. 
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

...My carb on WD45 is M/S. It does get totally white on many occasions when temp is just around the freeze point. But I have no experience with zenith so I don't know. Had the tractor out today but did not pay attention to the carb. Will do so next time out. 

The old chap who told it to me was the kind of guy who'd speak about his own wacky theories as if they were fact. But I got thinking about it the other day when someone on another forum posted about carb icing issues on their Oliver 1655. The 1650's, 1655's, and 2-70's all had bad carb icing problems - so much so that Oliver developed a service bulletin with a re-worked intake for that could be changed to draw hot air from around the exhaust. Even today, lots of folks post about the carb icing problem on those tractors. Those Ollies/Whites used 265 cu in., 6 cylinder engines and were about 65 HP. The Allis 180 also had a 265 cu. in. 6 cylinder engine producing the same HP, and I've never heard of any carb icing problems on them, nor have I ever had any issues with my 180 gas (nor the 190, with the same engine). The only difference I can think of from a carb-icing standpoint is the M/S vs. Zenith carbs.

Maybe the zinc bowls of the Zenith's made a difference, compared to the cast iron bowls of the M/S? Zinc is over twice as thermally conductive as steel/cast, so maybe it helped absorb some heat from the engine/surroundings better.

Edited by DanielW - 19 Feb 2024 at 7:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic