This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner L problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner L problems
    Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:17pm
My neighbor has a "new to him" L combine.  It seems to run okay, except the cobs fall straight down onto the sieves instead of onto the straw walker.  The sieves get overloaded and he has to stop and clear the cobs off the rear axle.  He said everything seems to be working properly and the fan is open all the way.  We've owned an L and an L2 and never had this problem.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Mitch & Barb in West MI
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:32pm
Two things.....the front 10 inches or so of the straw walkers is missing and the engine RPM's are too slow or BOTH.....also if there's a steel curtain hanging over the seperator raddle, take it out and throw it away for corn/soybeans.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:34pm
Adjust the walkers ahead all the way, this will get the cobs onto the walkers, grain on the sieves. If you go back to small grains, youll have to adjust the walkers to the rear again. TREV.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:18pm
Model's "L" amd "M" are not adjustable.
MitchB View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:52pm
Thanks for your help.  I'll pass on your information to my neighbor.  I remember taking the curtain out of our L and throwing it away as you suggested, Dr. Allis. 
Mitch & Barb in West MI
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Two things.....the front 10 inches or so of the straw walkers is missing and the engine RPM's are too slow or BOTH.....also if there's a steel curtain hanging over the seperator raddle, take it out and throw it away for corn/soybeans.

Dr. Allis,
Does this also apply to a CII combine?  Should I remove the steel curtain for beans and also milo? 
I have never cut beans or milo with a CII.  This machine is used to cut wheat.

Edited by Clay - 26 Oct 2010 at 10:00pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 6:36am
I'd remove it....most of them are bent in a "U" shape and are supposed to be flat/straight.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:07am
Mine is flat/straight.  
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:10am

If you run a lot of corn thru an L or M the front of the walkers will get beat out by the cobs  like Dr says and will overload the cleaning shoe.   May have to weld some material back in there to keep the cobs up on the walkers.  

clint View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 2:18pm

wine are good and i still have this problem with some cobs on my old m2

they new one has the front of one missing on the side- is terrible- in these dry beans it would clog the shoe with material.
can i take the walker out and weld in the missing from a donor?
Our farms stuff: agco gt55, AA 8775, 8765, 6080, 185, 180, 175, 170, d15, d14, d14, wd, wd, wd, g, F3, L3, R62
Wade (IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade (IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 3:26pm

I just repaired on walker and replaced another on my M3 this year.  The chopper had destroyed the back of each one.  Depending on how bad the whole thing looks, I'd find a good used one and swap it out.  It made a world of difference on how it ran this year with good walkers.

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:01pm
applies to All Gleaners, no curtain is necessary over raddle for corn / beans and as stated , even if some parts of FRONT of walker is missing there stil should not be a large quantity cob and shuck on shoe. Air blast and thresher beater should carry over to walkers - a decrease of RPM from 2200 or 2300 rpms to 2000 will cut air volume nearly in half due to design of fan.    Also if the fan is damaged or the blades are coated over due to oil causing dust to stick to back concaves this will cut air volume as well. The fan choke lever on the RH side can be mounted backwards and while THINKING one is opening up the air it is in fact closing the air choke.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic