This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split rim tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split rim tool
    Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 9:50pm
anyone have a lead on a split rim expander retractor tool? specifically for tire sizes for antique cars, Model A's etc
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 10:03pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/176139529850?

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Feb 2024 at 9:13pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 10:06pm
there seems to be a few things on e-bay that might work... Personally , i dont have a clue how they work...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 6:27am
wow, I can't believe every 'A' owner had one of them in the trunk when they went on 'roadtrips' ?
hmm, it wasn't needed  to fix flats was it ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 8:25am
Actually most used Simple Irons for Split Rims.  Dad had recalled Grampa and GrGrampa fixing OFTEN flats going to Home Farm.  Two irons and self vulcanizing patch kits.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 9:37am
I remember using the self-vulcanizing clamp for the patch... it was a diamond shaped patch. the patch was on the 'bottom' side of the tin form that held the chemical that burned which heated the rubber of the patch to make the seal... there was a clamp that was used to press the whole thing to the inner tube.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 10:50am
Dad showed me to set fire to the first application of 'Vulcanizer' glue then apply second coat then apply the patch.  His lesson from the 1930s remembered.

Were a deal of several different designs in The Day, Retainer Ring, Split Clamp ring, Two Piece Wheels and several styles of those that separated at rough centerline.  IIRC Saw one on a Model AA Truck, rim split at centerline, both halves had a Shallow 'Sweet Spot' would need to align then press one side down the other pull up and would slip apart, same to go back on then twist halves so sweet spot NOT aligned for actual use.  Just Spooky to think put air in those and then put back on truck.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Feb 2024 at 10:54am
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

there seems to be a few things on e-bay that might work... Personally , i dont have a clue how they work...

Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Thanks Steve, 
I'll post a pic of the car, 1923 Buick 23-35 when I get a chance

Wait for the Lord;
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 2:49pm
Are conventional rims available? The little bit I've worked on split rims I just used large screwdrivers and prybar for the lock rim. Just remember to be careful when airing them up, I've heard some horror stories.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 1:07pm
Lou,. They are available from most farm and home stores, etc. You might look up Meyers Tire Supply or someone similar, Gray Products,etc.qq In the 22 years I was in the tire business, I have torn down dozens of split rims. Bee very careful. I never had 1 of them explode but 1 of my friends, another tire dealer was killed by 1.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 5:20pm
Lou.  The split rims for antique cars come in many varieties, depending on the rim manufacturer. Some are the same style as a truck rim with an outer ring and a lock ring. Others are split across the rim and take a special tool to lever one part of the rim over the other to contract it so it can be removed from the tire. 
I mess around with some antique cars and sometimes have to make a tool if none can be found.  I hope I don't have to do the ones on the car that just came into the shop today!!

Here is a picture or two.  A 1918 Mclaughlin Buick.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 7:11pm
This is the tire tool Dad coveted, I never understood why until I started changing tires on the 35.  The curve and round piece are just right to break down the rings.  Mine are not split but solid, so you have to find the deeper area to hold down at and put another iron in the opposite side to pop it off.
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

Lou.  The split rims for antique cars come in many varieties, depending on the rim manufacturer. Some are the same style as a truck rim with an outer ring and a lock ring. Others are split across the rim and take a special tool to lever one part of the rim over the other to contract it so it can be removed from the tire. 
I mess around with some antique cars and sometimes have to make a tool if none can be found.  I hope I don't have to do the ones on the car that just came into the shop today!!

Here is a picture or two.  A 1918 Mclaughlin Buick.
Phil, You are correct, two different types of split rim, I just learned that in the last few weeks. I was aware of the type on trucks, (had a school mate in highschool that died as the result of one exploding, in his dads tire shop), but never knew about these crosswise split rims on early cars. I am now the proud owner of a 1923 23-35 Buick and a 1931 8-67 Buick so i thought it wise to get one of these retractor tools. Supposedly one can change a tire w/o one, but it looked real difficult to me.
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

This is the tire tool Dad coveted, I never understood why until I started changing tires on the 35.  The curve and round piece are just right to break down the rings.  Mine are not split but solid, so you have to find the deeper area to hold down at and put another iron in the opposite side to pop it off.
JW, my days of wrestling those big tires are over! LOL Last tire I changed was on the WD, couple of years ago, and I swore never again! it was an all day battle, I have several tire irons, including one such as you show here.
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Lou,. They are available from most farm and home stores, etc. You might look up Meyers Tire Supply or someone similar, Gray Products,etc.qq In the 22 years I was in the tire business, I have torn down dozens of split rims. Bee very careful. I never had 1 of them explode but 1 of my friends, another tire dealer was killed by 1.
Thanks Tom, I bought the one Steve posted above
Wait for the Lord;
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 6:28pm
We need some pictures, Lou!!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

We need some pictures, Lou!!
I gotta figure out how to post them on here from my phone

Edited by LouSWPA - 11 Feb 2024 at 8:01pm
Wait for the Lord;
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 10:23pm
Let me know when you do, cause I haven’t figured it out yet myself.
Maximum use of available resources!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 6:27am
hay, I got one of those bars JW shows about 6 posts up ! Guess I better not toss into a scrap bin (which is where I got it 5 years ago....) ???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 9:07am
I saw those "claw" type tools, in various lengths when I was at Fleet Farm just the other day.  Pricey, but made in USA... Last time I used one was in about 1976.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic