This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn Head question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkinSIndiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn Head question
    Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 2:35pm
I have a 430 black corn head on an F2, I need to replace the upper bearing on a snapping roll, How do I get it apart to accomplish this task?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
Been a long time since I did one (and it's a two-man job)......remove both grass knives......remove shields that cover up the bevel gears at the rear........remove two allen head/socket head screws that are at the very top edge of the stripper plates......remove all 3/8" bolts/nuts that hold the front roll brg holders.......remove three 3/8" bolts that hold the rear roll brg holder.....remove two 1/2" bolts that hold the shield at the rear of the roll blades......get out of the way, they should fall out. Pay attention to how they are timed before removal so you get them back in time on assembly. There are worse jobs.........I just can't think of any right now.
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

There are worse jobs.........I just can't think of any right now.

Changing the bearings on the snapping rolls of a 430 orange head! I stood the head on it's back and changed the bearings. It didn't make it any easier, but at least I could stand up instead of laying on my back!

Safety is of utmost importance here, I block the head up with 6x8 cribbing when I will be working under it for an extended time. Having an OH crane or at least an engine hoist was helpful to handle the snapping rollers also.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:14am
I would do exactly as Dr Allis says but take the entire row unit off the head first.
I wish it had been a while since I worked on one of those....

I never saw any of those shields over the bevel gear until two years ago when my Dad bought an old M2 and a 430 head to go with it.  All the other heads we have had in my lifetime never had those shields.  Boy are they a PIA to get off when you have to change a gathering chain shaft.  Real knuckle busters.  The 430 now is missing the shields on one row....

Edited by Amos - 27 Oct 2010 at 8:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic