This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honda CRV tire ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda CRV tire ?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 1:07pm
My wife drives a 2020 Honda Crv and it's time for new tires. Her driving is mainly intown with a couple of trips to Des Moines each year. Any suggestions?
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 1:24pm
Let her pick out the tires, pay for them and then you HIDE in your garage !Big smile
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 1:24pm
We put a whole set on our CRV, early last summer. Went with Cooper, as they were made in USA. So far so good.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 1:39pm
She maintains her own vehicle and the funds come from our joint account. And I don't have a garage, she does. I had Cooper on a truck once and found they would hydroplane a lot. I know a lot of people like them though. Maybe just my truck. It came with Bridgestone and only got 30,000 miles on them. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 3:07pm
Check out Yokohama.  In spite of the name, they do have 2 plants in the U. S.  I'm sure opinions vary but I've heard some good things about them.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 5:00pm
Just put Hancook's on my wife's Grand Am. It has had Good years, BF Goodrich , and Coopers on it. So far like the Hancook's.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 5:38pm
I have Hancooks on the CAR and Yokos on the Truck... Like the way they handle... Wife does a lot of "drive around town" 90% of the time with front wheel drive FLEX... YEP.. those two tires wore out at 30K miles... Its the TYPE of driving, not the tire.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 6:09pm
I have been using Toyo for a few years and am happy with them. Don't get the cheapest ones going as some want to do these days. Spend some more money and get better quality. You won't regret. Rotate them and check air. Really pays off. Smile
Have them on a Chrysler 300(several years now) and on 2024 GMC 2500 -winter tread on this one. But very few miles so far on this one.

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 30 Jan 2024 at 6:13pm
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 6:10pm
Did put Yokohamas on my truck. So far so good! Will check out Hancook. She's looking at Goodyear. 

Edited by mdm1 - 30 Jan 2024 at 6:15pm
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 7:03pm
Toyo is also made in the US. There's a plant about 15 miles from here. Never have tried them so I can't speak to how they drive and hold up though.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 7:19pm
My wife’s CRV come think of it is not great in a heavy rain. We had the same issues years ago with Ford Taurus’ our 1998, and 1999 Taurus’s could go anywhere anytime, down pour, blizzard, just motoring down the road, but then we got a 2004, that thing would slip & slide if there was a forecast of precipitation. Did not matter what brands of tire we ran on that car over the years, factory specs called for too big of a tire for the weight of that car.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 30 Jan 2024 at 7:20pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 10:13pm
Toyo Celsius has been a great seller for me. It's the best of both worlds. A winter tire designed to be left on year round.

Hankook is also a great brand.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:12am
I just put a set of Hankooks on my daughter's 2002 CR-V... it's a 'college car'.

What you'll find, is that 4wd CR-V's consume tires rather swiftly... and it's how the driveline works:

You have what is basically a front-wheel drive car, where the differential pinion has a secondary power take-off exiting the rear-facing end of the transaxle.

There is a driveshaft extending from that power takeoff (a small U-joint) to an isolated support bearing in two places under the floor, to a differential in the rear.

Just BEFORE the differential gear (but inside the diff center section) is a combination viscous coupling with a clutch pack.  As you roll down the road, the front wheels and rear wheels are following the same track, thus, roll the same distance, and the rear differential pinion rotates in synch with the driveshaft from the front, so the viscous coupling has no effect.

When you have a wheel slip up front, the driveshaft spins FASTER, thus, the viscous coupling now gets two different speeds... this causes coupling to apply pressure to the clutch pack, forcing the clutch plates together, thus causing power from the front transaxle to bear into the rear differential, and now you have tractive effort applied to the rear wheels.

This works fairly well, but when you're rolling down the road and say... one tire is a couple pounds lower than it should be, it needs to rotate MORE (to accomodate it's smaller rolling diameter) the viscous coupling is now working out the difference in speed, and that means the front and rear tires are bearing against eachother on dry pavement.

So the CR-V's fuel economy is down a bit, and tires wear out faster...

So I wouldn't expect miracle tire life.  I haven't seen any of ours (we have four CR-Vs) get more than about 22k on a set of tires... and since there's a mile of gravel 'tween the house and county blacktop, we usually don't get good tire life on ANYTHING to begin with.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 7:55am
Our 2017 CR-V had Hankook's on it and at about 30.,000, they developed a vibration (at all road speeds). I replaced them with Michelin's (yes, pricey) and traded @ 90,000 + and no disappointments! Our 2022 CR-V has Continental tires and like them - 38,000 on it and tires look like new.
jdeere562 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeere562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 11:36pm
I got Michelin Cross Climate 2 and love them. Great in snow and rain, 3 peak rated, but costly.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 2:38am
Hey Mike,
  Depends on what you want to spend....
My thought are (in order) Michelins and Hankooks.
Never heard of Toyo so I can't say, but definitely worth looking into.

Does she care about ride?  I keep ALL my tires at 4 lbs under max.  I can't tell the difference between 34 and 40 lbs per tire ride dif.  BUT, I do definitely tell the difference between the gas mileage.  As far as wear, who can tell?  I'd have to have the same tires on and drive exactly the same for 30k to know.  I care more about mileage...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:02am
As of now she is looking at either Hancooks or Toyo. 
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 7:52pm
Well did you get a some new sneakers?

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 08 Feb 2024 at 7:53pm
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 5:08am
Not yet we were hoping for a buy 3 get 1. But it doesn't look good. She's going to get the Toyos. 
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 6:51am
Well my wife ordered the Toyos or Toby's as she calls them. Will be put on Tues. Thanks to all with suggestions.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 2:06pm
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic