This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slotted / non slotted shells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slotted / non slotted shells
    Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 7:55am
Trying to refresh myself on the slotted conrod replacement bearings for the 426,which is what i have to install ,cant find the info. Can anyone help? The new rod bolts i have to use are nos ones from awhile back as well,mid 80s but i havent got paperwork to go with them either.
The shells the dealer sent me are all slotted,only the top half shell should be ,correct?
Thanks

Edited by JPG AUSTRALIA - 24 Jan 2024 at 8:25am
Sponsored Links

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 8:16am
  On the mains both halves should be slotted so the rods get constant oil pressure.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 8:24am
Just talking about rod bearings,ill edit my post
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:01am
Only the top need to but some brg companys sent both slotted
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:04am
Conn rods are to be turned 180 degrees when using slotted bearings in old engines.
I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:36am
My memory on the subject is rather vague.  It's been too many years since I last worked on those engines, but it seems to me the slotted bearings were brought into play along with drilled rods for piston cooling jets in higher HP versions. If his rods aren't drilled for that the slots are a moot point. Why would they need to be reversed 180 degrees? 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 10:16am
Because that's what A-C said to do in an official Service Bulletin because they discontinued the old no-slotted rod bearings. Turn the (old style) rods 180 degrees when using slotted bearings.
I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 10:31am
I'm not arguing the point that it should be done. It's more that I haven't seen those bulletins in possibly thirty years, I'm just questioning the "why". 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 11:02am
I'd assume to put the bearings "sweet spot" in the best possible position for longer bearing life when using an old rod that isn't configured exactly like the rifile drilled rod is.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 11:05am
The straght up con rods AC used has a greater thrust on one side - this needs to be the side that has the most brg surface.   The bulletin was put out just after the slotted brgs went into replacement with the rifle drilled rods.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the reply’s
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 6:35pm
From the manual....Engines in the S/N range of 70-15255 through 70-22076 were built with the slot away from the camshaft. Lab testing has revealed improved oil film retention is achieved when slot in bearing is on the camshaft side of engine. Engines built this way must have rods rotated during any major engine work.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 7:45pm
how would any one ever know about critial info like that without this forum, and  having poeple with experance toknow that because those bullitons dont always show up in the revised service manuals    somthing that needs to go to the knowlage base
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 10:37pm
Just got hold of set of nos shells 4025253 which after a lot of searching should be 002 under and not slotted .
Thoughts? Hopefully not too tight! But would save conrod turning
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 11:45pm
If your crank is not 2 under you are asking for trouble. At least plasti gage them. My latest 426 w/ 5000hrs is less than half a thou under on rods.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 7:23am
can check clearance, and just use the upper half of the .002 unders, and the std in the caps. It's pretty common mixing .001 or .002 bearing halves in the racing world to get the desired dimensions. Only down fall is buying 2 sets of bearings lol! I think these are sold each shell come to think of it. Now, as mentioned above, your crank may not have enough wear on it to allow even .001" tighter clearance. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 8:03am
Hey Ed, i was seriously thinking of doing that ,not a fan of the slotted type, takes away alot of bearing surface. But doing all this upside down in chassis is a bit hard compard to an out of frame rebuild. I measured crank and it was as new spec still , so I’ve passed on the .002 ones and turned the rods and gone with all slotted. The top shell gets the main workout so that was the one that needs the non slot bearing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 8:30am
  A little late but you could send in your old bearings to Calico Coatings and get their latest space age slippery coating.

Not that expensive.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 9:14am
So, does Calico fill in the wear void with their coating ??? or do they fill in the void with OEM bearing materials and then coat the bearing surface ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 9:48am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

So, does Calico fill in the wear void with their coating ??? or do they fill in the void with OEM bearing materials and then coat the bearing surface ??

Their coatings, I sent in a set of rods and on two halves I could see two of the deepest scratches still showing, otherwise looked like new, cept gray.

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

can check clearance, and just use the upper half of the .002 unders, and the std in the caps. It's pretty common mixing .001 or .002 bearing halves in the racing world to get the desired dimensions. Only down fall is buying 2 sets of bearings lol! I think these are sold each shell come to think of it. Now, as mentioned above, your crank may not have enough wear on it to allow even .001" tighter clearance. 

From the pictures in his other post it almost looks as though the bottom half shell could be re-used in a pinch (not quite ready to that myself though Smile )
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic