This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080
    Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 10:55pm
Am looking at an 83 allis 6080 fwa open station loader tractor. Has 2700 hrs on it, looks ok tires are original and getting cracked needs seat and has regular wear and tear for a 40 plus year old tractor. What is it worth? Dad had a 2wd one with a loader on it when I was a kid and I always wanted to get one with fwa. Dad sold ours to an uncle when it had about 6500 hrs on it and the only thing I can remember fixing on it was a head gasket. My uncle ran it for years and scrapped it when the transmission piled up with around 20k hours on it. Anyway just looking for an excuse to buy this one.
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 7:27am
Those are still pretty popular and this ones low hours, just guessin in the $12,000- $15,000 range ; alot depends on paint etc; just an opinion and watching online auctions

Edited by DougG - 16 Jan 2024 at 7:30am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 7:32am
Value is very much related to your area. 

One of my cousins recently (October) bought a 6080 FWA with a cab, in fair condition. The tractor runs and drives well. He bought it from the guy that owned it's widow. She said her late husband bought it new and, for the last several years, he used it only on a JD round baler. 

He gave $6500 for the tractor, but AC tractors in our area don't sell very high.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 9:47am
The one I am looking at is priced at the high end of that range. The guy that owns it now bought it from his father about 10 years ago. His father bought it from the original owner around 2000 and it had most of the hours on it at that time. The owner is solid on his price and said he would sell it at auction if he doesn't get it. I don't think he will realize his asking price at auction once the fees are removed but he is willing to roll the dice. I could wait it out but the tractor is in acerage country and has a loader and fwa and compared to new/newer stuff is relatively cheap so I am not sure it will stick around for long. Not many of these tractors around here and might be a long time before something better comes along. I haven't looked at it yet as it is 5 plus hours away and the weather has been to cold to venture out that far. Don't really need this tractor but it would be a nice addition to the fleet.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 11:01am
here's a nice one with a loader for 10,900 in Michigan.

D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Acguywill Acguywill wrote:

Am looking at an 83 allis 6080 fwa open station loader tractor. Has 2700 hrs on it, looks ok tires are original and getting cracked needs seat and has regular wear and tear for a 40 plus year old tractor. What is it worth? Dad had a 2wd one with a loader on it when I was a kid and I always wanted to get one with fwa. Dad sold ours to an uncle when it had about 6500 hrs on it and the only thing I can remember fixing on it was a head gasket. My uncle ran it for years and scrapped it when the transmission piled up with around 20k hours on it. Anyway just looking for an excuse to buy this one.
AC 6000 series are a combination of AC 433I diesel / Fiat drivetrain. Fwa might be a plus, given it's been a loader tractor? I would think the Fwa would better handle loader weights, but depends on operator? If fwa is in good condition(price bump). 2700 hrs is very low? Check that it's hour meter is accurate?(price bump?). Tires are expensive & it will be needing them soon(price reduction). Operator knowledge / use of tractor can be very helpful. Make sure it's 433I has had it's front thrush bearing kit installed. No cab in Canada(price reduction)? Canadian dollar range might be 16-21K if high end is realized? You say the owner wants a higher end price. Might go test drive it to understand it's actual condition. If its what you want, offer cash at test drive. If owner refuses cash offer, then you can still bid at auction. Your statement about "don't really need it" category speaks volumes. 

Edited by AC7060IL - 16 Jan 2024 at 11:11am
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 12:36am
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 9:10am
Actually that is the tractor. I just mixed up the hours with another tractor I was looking at. The owner said it's in working order but the pto leaver is not working quite right. Most likely just rusty from lack of use.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 9:22am
In response to AC7060IL's comment about the thrust bearing kit; was that factory installed on later builds? Dad's I think was bought new in 85 (had deutz allis stickers on it) but I can't remember if it had the bearing or not.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 12:53pm
The front bearing kit - the first 6080's failed the thrust bearings. Then they went to slotted bearings - this did not fix the issue - THEN finally they went to a wider thrust flange and wider corresponding thrust area on the crank.  For the earlier ones that survived w/o too much damage, mostly due to slow starting with the foot clutch and PTO clutch depressed and way too much thrust, there was a front support/bearing set up that took the pressure off the thrust bearing and put it on the cone/cup front bearing (that had a grease point a lot do not know of) .  There was a roll pin that failed and the roll pin was replaced with a solid dowel pin. 6060's faired better due to less pressure but we installed the kits on all we sold.  This issue arose because testing did not show this failure due the amount of hours put on quick, plus there had never been an issue before.  This cost AC more than a million.  Tractor division had to foot the bill - not the Harvey engine plant - another 'straw on the camels back'.  BUT they fixed the issue and left no farmer holding the bag$ that I know of.    **PRIOR ENGINE S/N 33K-21863 was the cut in sn   DOWEL PIN IS PN 70268703   also there were a number of F2 Combine engines swapped into 6080's -most did not have the wide flange and the uninformed did not swap the front support.  The 6080 was the highest market share tractor AC had in the 'modern ere'.  Per Ed Swingle the 6000 series had over 20 % market share at times - WAY above other models.  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 6:39pm
Easily worth 15k with those hours. Great tractors that just run forever if taken care of.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
6080fwa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6080fwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 6:57pm
i have a late model deutz allis 6080 that the upgraded thrust bearings failed on in the the block. I bought it that way.  no outer  support on it.  the block was worn into, this was over 10 years ago. i swapped a low hour f2 engine in and keep the pto in the fwd position, no problems since . checked crank play every couple years and it hasnt changed any.
 They are a reliable tractor with great traction with fwa.  hard to beat their fuel efficiency if u keep the rpm below 2000 you can bale a long day with a full tank, way better than any other allis of that or greater hp.  They are a torquey tractor. i have 4 of them.  Get one with a factory cab if you can.
d19d d19lp 175d 190d 190gxt 190dxt 200 6080 7000 8010 9150 9190
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:41pm
It seems a lot of A-C people don't like the 6000 series because they were part Fiat, part Allis.  It's not like this was a new thing in manufacturing. There are other Allis models that were not 100% A-C but they don't seem to get the same disrespect the 6000 series gets.  Every brand did the same thing to some extent with certain models. It still goes on even today.  They had their quirks but they are great tractors if taken care of.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:48pm
Our father bought a new 6060 in 1981. AC failed to notify him of the front thrust bearing repair. Our local dealer never mentioned it which has always been a sore subject for me personally. Not sure which one mishandled it but regardless it was never addressed. With that being said, if the pto, pto disconnect lever are used like the manual explains, we were told there would be no issue. The problem occurs when the pto disconnect lever is left in the disconnect position for long periods of time putting extra pressure on the front bearing. If it is used correctly then there should be no issue. The bad, the front bearing support is NLA. Really good tractors as long as they are operated as designed. Is it a flaw, absolutely, but use the pto disconnect lever as it was intended and there shouldn’t be an issue.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 5:43am
If he bought it in 81 it wasnt an issue yet , think the problem started to surface in probably late 82-83 with 6080,s; just things Ive heard of this issue ; as far as being part Fiat no problem here; got a 6080 that I really like now,was kinda disappointed in it at first because of keeping the engine over 1800 rpm,s to keep the real power going -and just gotta service it as AC said to; that sycro 12 speed trannys awesome !

Edited by DougG - 18 Jan 2024 at 5:48am
Jasonw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 6:18am
The parts needed for the front bearing support are still available from AGCO individually but for everything you would need it would cost over $1,400.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 9:54am
First off thanks for all the help, I just joined the forum and wasn't sure how active it was but seeing all the responses has been nice. Now back to this tractor, a cab would be nice but I have never seen one with a cab in person. Does it only have the one door? The reason I ask is because I would be using it as an auger tractor and having to climb into the cab to start and stop it would get old fast. Right now I use a massey 461 on the small auger, (13×85) and everything is accessible from the ground from either side but the tractor is short on power. Engine start/stop and throttle would be easy enough to rig up for external control but haven't quite figured out how to engage the pto. I have some ideas but without having a tractor in front of me I'm not sure it would work. Speaking of fuel efficiency I just sold a jd 4455 because it was such a fuel hog. Have a 8010 allis on the bale processor and can feed and bed 200plus cows for 5 months on less than 3 tanks of winter diesel.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 12:26pm

First off thanks for all the help, I just joined the forum and wasn't sure how active it was but seeing all the responses has been nice. Now back to this tractor, a cab would be nice but I have never seen one with a cab in person. Does it only have the one door? The reason I ask is because I would be using it as an auger tractor and having to climb into the cab to start and stop it would get old fast. Right now I use a massey 461 on the small auger, (13×85) and everything is accessible from the ground from either side but the tractor is short on power. Engine start/stop and throttle would be easy enough to rig up for external control but haven't quite figured out how to engage the pto. I have some ideas but without having a tractor in front of me I'm not sure it would work. Speaking of fuel efficiency I just sold a jd 4455 because it was such a fuel hog. Have a 8010 allis on the bale processor and can feed and bed 200plus cows for 5 months on less than 3 tanks of winter diesel.

Yes, it only has 1 one door.  On the left side.  PTO lever is on the right side.

Edited by DSeries4 - 18 Jan 2024 at 12:30pm
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 1:59pm
It's not a good auger tractor.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 3:57pm
Why not ? As long as you keep everything lubed and workable - never had problems with the pto
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 4:03pm
It's not a good auger tractor because of the layout of the controls or are there other issues with using it for that purpose? The one dad had was mostly used for pto work.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Ron(AB) Ron(AB) wrote:

It's not a good auger tractor.

I’d love to know how many hundred of hours we put on our 6080’s doing auger work.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 12:04am
The pto lever sucks for an auger. How are you going to engage/disengage it standing beside the tractor?

What if there is an emergency? Could your wife or a child pull that lever standing beside the tractor?

Any auger tractor I use has a push/pull switch that you hit to shut the pto off instantly.

Safety first. There are a lot better choices out there...pick another tractor.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:50am

Not uncommon for me to spot a semi and wife to unload it herself she manages fine.   Not ideal but son could turn off the key….Id say 50/50 if he could pull the lever back yet but soon he could.  He’s a good resourceful person so who knows.  Daughter to young to respond no matter the set up.  Only bad thing about a 6080 on the auger is the clutch safety switch.  
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 9:12am

Take this advice for what it's worth but I try hard to NEVER start a tractor from anywhere but the seat!!! We lost a local Oliver guy recently, was starting his 1855, (I think) standing in front of the tire, ran right over him as it was in gear. Also know a father and son that had more than a close call with a 966. Dad got knocked out of the way, son got hit enough to wind up in the hospital and using a walker for several weeks afterward.

I know it can be a pain getting on and off but **** happens quick!
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 10:02am
The little massey has interlock switches so it will not crank over unless it is in neutral and the pto is disengaged. Interestingly it does not have one on the clutch pedal so no need to push it in to start the tractor which makes it so handy for auger use. I think only the newer tractors with electronic pto engagement have the push button shut-off, the oldest tractor I have with that is a 1998 model. Anything that new would be priced out of range for my application. If I remember correctly the 6080 shuts off with the key so an emergency kill switch could be mounted anywhere.
Safety is important but it, like art, is in the eye of the beholder. What is safe to one person may seem completely nuts to another. To me most things are safe as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and know your limitations.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:46am

If you don’t feel they are safe by all means don’t buy them.   Less people buying the 6,7, 8000 series the better for me.   Less demand should make them cheaper for me.  
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 11:28am
Does anyone know if the 6000 series tractors came from the factory with 4 or 5 digit hour meters? My brother went and looked at one yesterday and it was a 5. Just trying to figure out if it the original or if it was replaced at some point. Tractor looked OK but had lots of old tractor issues; lights, seat, oil leaks, steering pin wear (FWA), etc. It has been used on an acerage for years but I think it was used pretty hard earlier in its life. The loader has some cracks and is plated in spots it is also tweaked a bit. It is a usable tractor but could use some tlc.
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 4:53pm
I had a 2wd 6080 C/H/A  for a few years it was ok. Fiat put the trans shifter on the left hand side and range shifter on the right just bizarre set up in my opinion, plus can't feather the 3 point hitch like the 100 series. Bought a low houred 185 and enjoy it much more. The 6080 was very fuel efficient though
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic