This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what's this for

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what's this for
    Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:29pm
What is this little spigot on my B for?
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:32pm
Vacumn for milking machine when power was out. HTH Tracy Martin
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:35pm
Yep, Tracy is right. We had one on our WD for that purpose.
"Burgie"
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:36pm
Milking cows! Not really but we switched ours on the C to the old vacuum valve for Surge milkers and the C handled 4 units that way. Did it in 1991 when an ice storm took all the electric poles in the area and we were without power for 6 days. Made everything to do on the farm much harder to do but the C did it's best to help out. I thinks that valve has something to do with ............I don't know. Was told once but forgot. Kerosine engines maybe?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:37pm
Wow, rapid fire here!
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:51pm
After an hour of lost power from the grid, my father would drive the '56 CA out behind the back of the barn, put one of those valves on the manifold, hook up the hoses and throttle up the ending and milk away(2 milking machines).
Western MA
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 2:04pm
In the picture the little spout is broken off - that the vacuum hose from Milker would slide onto.

Gary
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 2:56pm
Like Gary said, there should be a hose barb on there.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 3:04pm
I've seen more than one just like that. Without the barb. I don't think it's broke off. I think that petcock has another purpose. Could be wrong though.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 3:11pm
That is a little different valve than most I have seen but I'm sure a guy used what was available and I never heard of another reason to have a valve on the intake like that. My BIL still milks and talked about using one on a different colored tractor many times when he was younger. Oh and I have seen more with the hose barb broken or damaged than not.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 25 Oct 2010 at 3:13pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 3:47pm
I have a WW2 vintage gas generator with a Herculese engine with a petcock on the intake manifold. You spilled some gasoline in there to prime it to get it to start when the choke and hand cranking wouldn't pull it from the up draft carburetor.

Gerald J.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 4:59pm

Is it me or is that intake manifold a little different? It appears to be designed specifically so a valve could be located right there near the carburetor. I'm leaning toward Lonn and Gerald's thoughts on this one. I believe some of the real old automobile engines had priming valves; some I  think had them for each individual cylinder. Is this an early B with the distillate engine?

Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:14pm
This is a 38B but it doesn't have a starter tank. Here's a wide shot. It doesn't look the same as the manifold on my 41B.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:49pm
This valve is on the B125 power units.  I would believe it being used for adding fuel.  I grew up on a farm that dry chopped the hay and we used an engine drive blower until I was 16 years old.  We always used it when hand starting the engine.  Two cranks with the choke on, then with it off and this valve open.  When the engine fired you covered the valve with your finger as quick as you could.  It did help alot in starting.  This valve is in the parts book and did come with the engines new.  It is not the one for milking cows, those were added by the farmers or dealers.  We have a WD with the surge valve on it yet.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 6:11pm
After doing a bit of searching in parts books, I came up with a part number. 214749 for the "COCK", ventilating, manifold. It lists it for use on engines used for powerunits, 125s and 60Hs not Bs,IBs and C tractors.   I belive its use was to ventilate a hard starting engine due to flooding. It is not shown to be used on low octane fuel manifolds.
The factory manifolds for tractors must not have had a cock. They either had no threaded hole or if there was a threaded hole it was pluged.
      I am not denying that it could be a used as a vacuum resource in a emergency.
      None of the original manifolds with the spec plate that I have, have the cock or a place for a cock or plug.  Some of the manifolds I have without the spec plate have a cock or a drilled and tapped hole with a plug or a place to drill and tap a hole. Some of my manifolds with or without a speck plate cannot be drilled and tapped as there is no place to drill and tap. I have 9 to look at and there are at least 5 variations in design. Some are AC and some are aftermarket.

Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:45pm
ed in tx
That is a newer manifold because it has the 2 bolt holes for the upright muffler. The small plug to  the left of center is sometimes used with a hose barb. Bob
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:46pm
Ken, my C has the same exact manifold on it. Actually, that manifold came from the parts tractor my son bought. I was thinking about the power unit hood that came on mine when I got it, and got confused, thinking the manifold might have come from the same power unit. Anyway, the one I have, wherever it came from(most likely an old power unit), is exactly like the one pictured above. No hose barb, though that would work well for a vacuum source. I can tell you that it doesn't run well when your son accidentally leaves the valve open. I was quite puzzled as to what the heck was wrong with it, until I walked to the other side and heard the source of the whistling and snorting.LOL!
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic