This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GasTank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshoemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GasTank
    Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:16am
About to finish up my WC restoration, but had a pin hole in the bottom of the tank.  I grainded it off and JB welded the hole, will it hold. 
Sponsored Links

RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 11:10am
I have a similar repair going on two years.  Mine was just seepage with a drip every hour or so.  It's sealed tight now.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 11:39am
ALSO Coat the tank on the inside with KREEM. If you have one pinhole, #2 is not far behind. (voice of experience)
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:32pm
Ive heard that coating the inside of tanks can gum up the fuel line as liner particles have no where to go but down.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:37pm
I did a hole in the gottom of my JD tank bout 9 years ago and it is still holding fine.  It was a hole that was not caused by rust though.  I say the JB will hold for fuel fixes if the metal doesn't rust out asround it.
AC Tundra View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Tundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:16pm

Local auto parts store (Parts City) has a two part epoxy mixes like playdough made especially for gas tank repair. Dries hard as metal, fast! Can be sanded and painted  Dont remember the name but they or NAPA should have it if JB doesnt work.

What do you mean another tractor, honey? That tractor has been here for years.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:23pm

Tried the epoxy from Napa and it did not hold up very long on the tank on my 34 WC.  I ended up coating the tank with NORTHERN tank liner and it has not leaked a bit since, or plugged the fuel lines.  I have done other tanks the same way, with the same result.  Just flush the tank twice with M.E.K and maybe add some nuts and bolts (if tank is rusty) to remove rust.  Then just dump in one quart for a WC tank and it coats the tank very easily and drain excess through bottom hole in tank.  It can be recoated, and i did so on my WC.

30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:38pm
try the stuff from here:
    http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Auto-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Kit_p_34.html
    I used it in my 45 WC tank that was super rusty and it worked GREAT! 
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:51pm
I used the POR small tank kit on mine and it worked great.  Looks like an old porcelain pan inside when done.  Mine did hold gas already tho.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic