This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cemetery Maintenance Before Mowers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cemetery Maintenance Before Mowers?
    Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 2:30pm
This has to be the most random question I've posted in the forum... But I didn't ask my grandfather when he was still alive, and someone on here will remember stories about this.

How was the grass in rural cemeteries maintained before the invention and wide adoption of mowing equipment?

Sheep? Careful use of hand tools like scythes and shears? I can't imagine people wading through 5-6' tall prairie grass to visit a departed relative's gravestone, so I'm thinking they had to do something.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 2:48pm
Our Family is in a Small OLD Cemetery outside St Peter IL, Used to be several farmers would waste a Saturday or bring their families on a Sunday and primp/prep and Push Type Reel mower the ENTIRE Cemetery.  Grandmother said had tried Sheep, made a HUGE Mess, otherwise was Hand Shears and Swing Weed Wackers or Scythes.  Great Aunt Scythed her Ditch and along House Fence row for forever!!  The Namesake Custodian of the Cemetery Fund would pay them a Per Day fee EACH.  Most have family also buried there.

The trust receives Federal Military Burial Plot maintenance money at the Bank, every year, Dates back to Spanish American War and Both WW with Korea and VN Vets.

Edited by DMiller - 31 Dec 2023 at 2:51pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 4:25pm
Pretty much like Dave describes theirs as to what was done down here in Georgia, push reel mowers and sling blades. If the family could afford it tar paper for weed block and fine sand like gravel on top of that for the cemetery plot.

On a side note I was at Arlington in the mid 90's and an old school bus pulls up and about a dozen workers jump out, grab some weed eaters out of the back and go to trimming grass.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 7:45am
When my Dad took over the local cemetery here in Loudonville, Ohio in 1959 they had a self prpelled real mower and for trimming a Bunt 3 wheel mower, when I retired from there in 2007 we had Hustler  rear discharge mower and weedeaters
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 4:21pm
Our church used to have clean-up saturdays for the cemetary, I can still remember us mowing with old bunton, gravely mowers.  When someone donated a newfangled john deere weedeater, my brother got that job, first.  It was a backpack motor, with a flex shaft to the head, damned thing felt like it weighed 50 lbs.  He ran it for an hour, and ended up barfing like a dog, from alla the vibration!Dead

Edited by DiyDave - 01 Jan 2024 at 4:22pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
AveryD12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveryD12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 6:03pm
DMiller
I’m interested in your comment about Federal Money to help with maintenance of the cemetery. We too have a Family Cemetery with Veterans from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam entered there. I have been maintaining our cemetery since the mid 1970’s with no financial assistance except for an occasional donation from a family member. I would like to establish something for maintenance after I am gone. Any info you can share with me would be appreciated.
Thanks
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 10:29pm
  About 45 yrs ago a friend asked me to go along to see if an elderly gentleman would sell his WC sitting in an open shed about a mile back the road.  I did not think he would sell it but he told my friend he wanted $150.oo. He said he mowed the Cemetery with it and a horse mower. I think my friend still plows his garden with it every spring, unless he uses his Oliver Hart Parr 70. Serial number is WC 32 or 33 don"t remember which...Harvey
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 11:52am
Thanks for the stories. Some things are definitely easier with modern technology.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic