This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexican Hat picture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Greif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican Hat picture
    Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 1:06pm
There was some discussion a few pages back about Mexican Hat dual wheels. And a bit of confussion.
One fellow posted what he felt were Mexican Hats. but the were just comman 38" cast centers for 7000 series tractors.

Since I just jumped thru all the hoops right and was luckly enought to get re-registered here, I am not going to push my luck and post pictures here just yet.

The link below is a post I just made at New Ag Talk.

In case the link doesn't work it is in the 'Test' forum, titled 'Mexican Hat'

The rims and tires are off, just the Mexican Hat castings.
Also the inter wheels have been powershifted out to give more room for working on the tractor.
But I gave up and towed it to the dealer.
Sure hated to use my Johnny Pop to tow the 7080, but the only thing I had around at the time.

I got the Mexican hats in 1996, paid $500 for just the castings. Axle cones, cast blocks, and bolts all came from S-yard.
I already had a set of 20 points on rims.

And if my link doest work - And someone can fix it, go ahead.
Or grap my pictures and post them here.
Old Man Bobby is not as good on the putter as he use to be
Sponsored Links

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:19pm
Gutsy move posting a picture of a 4630 pulling an AC! Oh crap how do I know that! I must be a closet JD guy! LOL! Good pic of true mexican hat castings. I too was mis-lead in the past. I thought they were the ones that bolted to the weight holes, and then you could bolt a 9 bolt pressed dual on. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 3:04pm
Nice to see you posting over here.  I go back a ways on the NAT pages.  Think I jumped into the old SF forums in about 97 or 98.  That's when I thought an IH 1066 was the best tractor ever.  I now have a 3 way tie for 1st with a 7060 PS and my WD.
AaronSEIA
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 4:07pm
That what I understood Mexican Hat duals to be . I bought a pair with non PS rims at an auction for $150 and plan to use them on my 220.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Gutsy move posting a picture of a 4630 pulling an AC! Oh crap how do I know that! I must be a closet JD guy! LOL!  
Are you sure its not a  4430 with an add on aftercooler? That clutch housing looks a little small for a 46, but its hard to see with the shadows.
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 4:26pm

Oops, powershift, that explains it, yup probly 4630. Shucks i do believe i might have revealed too much also..

Bobby Greif View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Greif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 9:39pm

Tech data on Mexican Hats

I used a late 7060 OM for some of this. Other 7000 and 8000 series tractors would be the same or very close.

Max tread normal 38" cast centers and non-power shift wheels, 18.4x38 or 20.8x38 = 115"

With power shift rims you get four more inches on each side = 123"

Mexican Hat cast centers, non-power shift = 136"

With power shift rims = 144"

So 10-1/2" of offset on each side.

Note: I have never seen Mexican Hats listed in specification equiped with non-power shift rims. Which doesn't mean they can't be set up that way, just you would not find them in the price book.

Weight of castings: I got my Mexican Hats from Russ Bishop at the time he had sold his Webster City Iowa A-C store. Also from Russ a set of about 11" thick inner wheel weights, similer to the A-C 450 pounders.

And from a area S-yard I purchased a set of later 7080 thick cast centers, 7" thick.

Also from the same S-yard, four of the A-C 450 pound cast inner weights.

After all this cast iron was home I made three trips to the Coop.

One with the thick inner weights - 1,190 pounds each. Let round it up to 1,200#. Coop scale breaks at 20#

Another trip with the Mexican Hats = Right at 800 pounds for the pair, or about 400# each.

Since Mexican Hats are about the same thickness as regular 38" cast centers, I would think the regular center would probably weight about 400 pounds each also.

Last trip was the 7" thick straight 38" cast centers.

Watch your back, as they weighted 1,900 pounds for the pair or about 950# each.

Then I got rid of that salty stuff in the tires.

Put a 1200 pounder on the inside of the inner castings. I used 3/4" all-tread for bolts.

And I made myself two sets of duals for the 7080.

A 20.8-38 tire and rim weight about 600 pounds, radials are quite a bit heaver.

So using the Mexican Hats, I had a set of 'Spring Duals'. Two 400# castings and two 600# rims with tires. Total about 2,000 pounds and good clearance between the tires, if I found myself in a wet spot.

The 'Fall Duals' are the thick straight castings, each with two 450 pound weights on the inside, 3/4" all-tread again.

So 2 ea thick cast centers - 1,900#

4 ea 450# A-C inner weights - 1,800"

and 2 ea 20.8-38 rims and tires - 1,200#

Bingo!! A set of nice and heavy 4,900# duals for hard pulling fall work.

It made my 7080 a pretty darn good rig on my White disk ripper with 5 DMI ripper shanks.

Or my 11 shank Allis-Chalmers model 1400 Min-Til.

Or my tile plow.

And then not a 'Steam Roller' for NH3 or the digger in the spring.

There are pictures of 7000 series tractors with Mexican Hat duals in some of the sales literature.

Also the early 220 sales literature has several pics of them.

I don't think there are any Mexican Hat pics in 8000 series sales literature.

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:29am
Thanks for the good info. I want to set my 220 up for heavy all work pulling a Bluejet Tillage Pro with 7 shanks @ 20" and 2" points.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Bret (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:55am
The dual adapters that bolt to the weight holes and use the pressed center dual wheels are commonly called "flower pot" duals.
By the way; Great post about the duals and weights Bobby.

Edited by Bret (OH) - 25 Oct 2010 at 5:57am
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:30pm
Right you are!! I whipped out my 220 brochoure and there they were!!!Mexican hat duals!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic