This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 10-18 at Henry Ford Museum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 10-18 at Henry Ford Museum
    Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:59pm
We took a weekend trip to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

I always enjoy seeing the agricultural display at the HFM.

On display is a pretty nice Allis Chalmers 10-18 in dark green paint. 

Some of the other highlights, at least to me, a 1923 Caterpillar on tracks, the huge tomato picking machine, the wood IH manure spreader in all original paint, the NH 70's era four head combine, the F-series IH, Avery steamer, the very early Ford tractor...wow, the list could go on and on and on.

About my only complaint is that they need an Allis All Crop for display. They jump from simple hand powered threshing machines to a large powered wood threshing machine to the 70's era New Holland. 

A nice, bright orange All Crop 66 would look great in the middle of the ag section. Heck, I might even write them a letter telling them so!

This was my fourth or fifth visit to the HFM in the past 11 years, and I can't wait to go back. That is one awesome museum!!!!!

The only thing I love more than the HFM is Greenfield Village, right next door!!!! I think I've been there 7 times in the past 12 years.

Anyone want to teach me about the 10-18?  

Sponsored Links

TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 10:25pm
The 10-18 was Allis Chalmers' first tractor.  They were built from 1914 until the early 20's.  The were patterned after the LaCrosse Happy Farmer with an off set front wheel meant to be run in the plow furrow.  The were powered by a 310 C.I. opposed engine.  By "opposed" I mean one cylinder faced forward and one faced rearward making for a very smooth running two cylinder engine.  They were rated 10 horsepower on the drawbar, and 18 hp on the belt.  There are only 12 or 13 known to be in existence at this time. 
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 11:41pm
What do they have in the front of the museum now? Last time I was there it was a bunch of Motown BS, told myself I wasn't going back.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:11am
Went there last summer.  That was probably the best museum I've ever been to.  I was blown away by Henry Ford's forethought in putting together this museum.  I remember the big stationary engine that ran one of his drive lines in the factory, I think it had a 12'flywheel or so.  If I remember right, they had 10 of these engines in the factory-when they switched to the power grid, one engine went to the museum and the other 9 to scrap.
Highly recommend a full day's time at this museum/village if you can do it.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

What do they have in the front of the museum now? Last time I was there it was a bunch of Motown BS, told myself I wasn't going back.

No Motown junk.

At the very front, there is the limo that President Kennedy was in while fatally shot, the limo that Reagan was in when shot, plus four more presidential limos.

I think I saw a single Marvin Gaye 45 record sleeve displayed in the "Decades of America" section next to a Beatles 45 and a Beach Boys record.

The 1948 Tucker automobile, the Allegheny steam engine and the Allis 10-18 are worth the price of admission.
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:42am
Originally posted by WC7610 WC7610 wrote:

Went there last summer.  That was probably the best museum I've ever been to.  I was blown away by Henry Ford's forethought in putting together this museum.  I remember the big stationary engine that ran one of his drive lines in the factory, I think it had a 12'flywheel or so.  If I remember right, they had 10 of these engines in the factory-when they switched to the power grid, one engine went to the museum and the other 9 to scrap.
Highly recommend a full day's time at this museum/village if you can do it.

I saw that stationary engine run yesterday. Pretty dag-gone cool!

FWIW, we spend a day at the village, and a second day at the museum. I love the village!

Edited by clovis - 24 Oct 2010 at 8:44am
Embellem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Embellem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:24pm
The museum is very cool. I have a molded plastic souvenir Oscar Mayer weinermobile from there here in my office. We went to the museum last year when visiting my wife's uncle who lives in Dearborn. Didn't have a chance to go to the Village as we had a wedding to go to. Have to go back some day.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 4:40pm
yes very nice museum.   The feature displays at the front rotate.  I think there is something for everyone.  When I was there they featured a recreation of the Rosa Parks bus.   At the front of the inside car section was a nice White Pontiac GTO as I recall.  I doubt if Ford cars were even the majority in that display.  The village gets better all the time.
The old plant engines and trains displays are just magnificent. 

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 25 Oct 2010 at 4:42pm
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:58pm
Thank you for the replies!

The Rosa Parks bus isn't a recreation, but the exact bus she was on. Some critics said there was no way anyone could tell which bus she was on, but the museum has it documented and verified from numerous sources, including the GM number stamped on the chassis. They have it documented, and it is rock solid documentation. 

Even if you aren't into Rosa Parks, seeing a fully restored GM bus is pretty awesome. It is a meticulous restoration.

If anyone is into antique furniture, the collection there is absolutely stunning. I think I could look at some of that hand painted early American furniture for hours!

Going back to the farm equipment...it is as awesome as the cars, at least IMO. 

Edited by clovis - 25 Oct 2010 at 8:59pm
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:26am
Is the Raymond tractor still on display? It is a tractor built by Sam Raymond (Henry Ford's brother-in -law) in the early 20's. It was built in Adrian,Mi out of surplus Model T parts. Adrian is close to me in southern Lenawee County, Mi. Mr. raymond owned farmland very close to some of mine. So far, it is the only one known to exist. It's been about 20 years since the last time i was there. Thanks. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:40am
I was there 18 years ago when I went to Ohio to haul my Silver King home.  I was a bit disappointed in the farm equipment display at that time as it looked kind of run down.  Something that sticks in my mind was the NH TR70 combine had a half flat front tire and no header.  There was remodeling going on nearby in the building so maybe I was there at a bad time.  The car and transportation display was excellent.  I remember a Yellow Freight Ford C700 that looked like it just came off the production line that had been in service for more then 20 years.  Need to visit there again. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:47pm
Went a couple years ago.  There was a display where two guys had a model A or T in pieces and anyone that wanted to could help re-assemble it.  They said they did it everyday.  It is a great place to visit, even the women enjoyed it! :)
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 2:00pm
Deb and I put a few pieces on that Model T when we were there this summer. We liked the museum and village so much, we plan to go back. 
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 2:08pm
How about the Round Aluminum house or the Steam Engine that burned the coal so fast that they had to use an auger to feed the firebox with and that could pull a 100 car coal train uphill in Virginia at 60 MPH.  We spent the whole day in the museum and didn't get any time for the Village, but it is a 13 hour drive for us.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 5:33pm
Maybe my mind is going I thought the display said the real Rosa bus was in the Smithsonian.  Great display anyway, hard for young folks to imagine those days and that is not all bad. 
I spent too much time inside as well and next time want to spend more time in the village.  I have visited three times in my life and I think it is much better shape now.  
My father in law collected Model Ts so I always like seeing that stuff too. 
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 12:31am
Rick-

That bus is the real deal, and it sits in Dearborn. There is a super interesting article about the bus that American Heritage magazine wrote. I found it by googling...I can't make the link work.

If you look up the article, a few things have transpired since the writing. Someone finally found the police arrest record for Parks, and the bus number is on the arrest report, along with the driver's name.

It seems that somewhere along the line, I heard that the chassis number was also verified.  

At any rate, it is a cool story, and even cooler bus.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic