This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing and Big Brother

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing and Big Brother
    Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 8:42am
Wife had our bathroom remodeled. New lav faucet is a water saver job, new shower faucet must have scald guard
I shower with it as hot as it will go. Gripes me that the manufacturer doesn't think I'm smart enough to not burn myself or waste water
Anyone else?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 8:59am
You can adjust 'max' heat by removing a 'security' ring, then move it 1 notch hotter.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 10:04am
Yeah Jay, I figured it's adjustable. Gotta wonder what folks do that aren't a little handy? Another added expense I guess
Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 10:14am
I'd like to adjust mine up a notch but the 'contractor' didn't make any access to the control unit....
...course he's also the 'contractor', who removed the exhaust fan from the other bathroom, which doesn't have a window.

I was going to make a big stink about it but his relatives seem to when they visit for tbird and xmas dinners.....

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 12:59pm
Sounds like you need a new contractor? Just saying
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 1:17pm
I had no choice, wife's son.........
sigh

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 2:25pm
After I inspect it, you are free to do as you wish. But you didn't hear that from me . What is the actual temperature? Code limit is 120. Doubt you could tolerate that. Myself, can only handle 116 and skin is red. They are adjustable. What brand
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 3:29pm
I adjusted it a couple hours ago . Just took a phillips screwdriver and a small allan wrench . No clue on actual temp , but I like Hot showers . Felt hotter on my hand . They're both Delta faucets . Actually had directions on the valve body . Thanks !
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 8:01pm
It's not just water heaters, but all the intrusive crap the rest of us have to put up with just because there are SO many idiots that do stupid chit.....  Their stupidity costs the rest of us $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  every day.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 8:22pm
All the showers and tubs in our house have the dual knobs for water, I hate them, much prefer the single knob .
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

It's not just water heaters, but all the intrusive crap the rest of us have to put up with just because there are SO many idiots that do stupid chit.....  Their stupidity costs the rest of us $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  every day.

No argument there but here we are. Code books are so thick cuz something happened to somebody. You'd be shocked to see the difference between the 1970 book I have and the 2021.
That said, i have a niece in law with scars on her legs cuz her mom drew too hot a bath for her. A former coworker from a previous career spent two weeks in the hospital after trying to light his LP water heater.

Edited by plummerscarin - 11 Nov 2023 at 10:51pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 6:30am
Guess I shouldn't complain, sure don't want anyone getting burned. Thanks everyone
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 7:16am
Sorry, just my job. I was no different until I became a code official. You are right though but the general public as a whole has lost a great deal of common sense and simply don't pay attention.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 8:40am
My grandfather would say "let them burn". Today we try to make things better, safer. Not easy to do . Water heaters are much safer today but are a lot more problematic. Half of the water heaters I replace are mainly due to safety features that have been introduced in the last 25 years. I tell customers the government has made you safer but you don't have any hot water because of it. I ask them would you rather have your house burn down or get scalded? They have been inconvenienced but are safer. Guess I would rather be safer.
Didn't mean to hijack your post. AC in SC ,Deltas are good faucets .There is usually a white plastic piece behind the handle with splines. Spring-loaded and you can pull out and rotate a few splines to make it hotter. Sounds like you already figured it out. I adjust them as hot as I can when installing. Our inspectors are not as thorough as Plummerscarrin . They never check for temperature on inspection. Might get one to feel it with his hand .
Might want to check temp on water heater. These new scald proof faucets mix cold and hot weather you want it or not. Govt wants temperatures set low at heater. May need to turn temperature up a little. Be careful though. Handicapped, elderly, infants and mentally Handicapped may not be able to sense temperatures like the rest of us. Also if you fall in shower and hit the lever as you fall you could get scalded or burnt before you can get it turned off . Most of these rules the government throws at us are for our own good, just seems like they overdo it . Especially when you have to take a cold shower.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 12:10pm
Pat , it's easy to tell you've 'been there, done that ' . I also installed our water heater a few years back and had to turn it up as well . Faucet choice was about my only input on the remodel . Always go with Delta or Moen . Thanks !
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 7:20pm
Most of the changes are trickle down thru the government regulations driven by insurance companies losses from a lawsuit. Not going to change but the problem is its driving the costs up beyond affordability for many and increasing the fail rate with complexity. Bad combination for the consumer/user. Rear view camera mandates in vehicles is from fools backing into people and property. Can not figure out why we need power windows though, never had to replace a manual crank mechanism. Cheaper to make only 1 kind? 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 8:33pm
I had my Inspectors License for ON-Site septic as well as installer , soil tester , and designer . Then when I got the Degree in Building Inspection - I never realized how far behind some inspectors were in many things . Seems most inspectors taking continuing education credits to be up to date - said we know this stuff , lets call it a night and go to the bar , just after classes started . 
  Went to a code adoption for the new gas code here and Unions were fighting it as said they knew how to plumb gas and you could not expect a bunch of fitters to take classes to learn this new stuff . The old ways work fine . 
  Same with code regulations or local ordnances on buildings - those who issue permits or are in change seem to know little and common sense bypassed them somewhere .

It's like a question in one quiz I had , What do you do when you get to inspect a job and sheetrock is up without a insulation inspection , plumbing inspection or electrical inspection signed off ?  I just answered - call the electrical inspector and have him be the bad guy to say they need to open the wall back up !
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 6:23am
re: Can not figure out why we need power windows though,

gee Mike YOU must have looooooong arms ! There's NO  way I can crank the passenger window on my F150 or push the lock button down !

Coke's reply reminded  me of a big name house builder here in Hamiltondoing huge subdivision, decades ago. Got the insulation passed in afternoon, that NIGHT, drywall went up in dozens of houses. When winter came ,new homeowners were talking ....west side had huge heating bill, east side cheap....They found out ,the builder had REMOVED the insulation from the west house, put into the east overnight !!!

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 6:23am
BTDT
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 12:43pm
As part of building inspection classes we had to have a plumbing awareness classes to so call spot errors before issuing a certificate of occupancy. 
 The Master plumber instructing that and i butted heads over many things , and then when he started on on-site septic - I found he was a complete IDIOT on systems and how they worked or were installed . Seems my required Pipe Layers certificate for my on-site covered more on plumbing drain systems than he knew .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 3:00pm
Just this morning my wife asked if I could raise the water level in the new toilet bowl . Guess she likes the 30 year old toilet better . Oh well 
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 5:35am
We installed a new water heater a few years back.
I had to break off a tab to turn it up.
It still doesn’t get hot enough to suit me.
Always hotter after a recovery than if it’s been sitting a while. Doesn’t seem to maintain heat.
Bought at Homedepot.
I wonder if our faucets are part of the problem?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:15am
HARD or soft water ???
Got GOOD water flow ??
Distance ?
get an IR gun and measure the temperatures.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 9:14pm
Just installed a new Rheem at the farm and I swear, I can pee hotter....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic